Battery storage

beardedone

Beardedone
I have an Augusta coming. What I want to know concerns the storage space for batteries. I have two new 6 volt golf cart batteries. When I looked at an 08 model it didn't look like there was room for two batteries. Is there enough room in the 09 for two golf cart batteries without any modifications. If so how long of a battery cable will I need to connect the positive and negative terminals.
thank you

jbeletti

Gerry and Rose,

Yes - the new Landmarks have room for two batteries. I'd say they will fit two Trojan T-105s easily as the tray looks to be the same as in my '05 Landmark where I installed the two T-105s. Bear in mind Golf cart batteries come in more than one configuration. If you already have the batteries, there is no assurance they will fit due to various case sizes.

I believe the positive and negative cables on the coach as supplied, have enough length to span, one each to your two batteries. You will need to supply the single cable to connect your batteries to each other. You can buy or make this cable ahead of time. Just set your batteries next to each other now (long side to long side). Cable needs to connect the positive of one of your batteries to the negative of your other battery - "about" 1 foot perhaps.

Jim

beardedone

Beardedone
Thanks Jim. My batteries are somewhat large so I guess I will have to wait and see. I have a interconnecting cable already which is about 12 inches long. I guess if that is too short I will have to buy another when I pick it up. Part of my problem is that the dealer is about 700 kms away from home.

Gerry

jbeletti

Gerry,

The Landmark is supplied with a single 12 volt battery. Consider using it until you get home, then do your battery upgrade project when you have more certainty as to what is what.

Couple of things to think about for this project:
1. Built a temporary wooden support to support the tray when installing the two 6 volt batteries of you are doing this yourself. I did and I am glad I made the support (three 2x4s and a few screws)
2. Consider installing a battery watering system as it is really hard to reach back to that back battery when using two. I ordered the ProFill system from Camping World and it worked great. No need to slide out anything or even touch the batteries.

Jim

davebennington

Jim,

Is the new Landmark battery setup pretty much the same as the older Landmarks? If so, I constructed a battery box and slide system that really works well for watering and battery maintenance. I can supply pictures if needed.

Dave

Retyred

Battery Box

I agree with Jim with the watering system, it works great. Top my batteries up every couple of weeks in less than 5 minutes.
When the dealer installed my deep cycle batteries they could not get them in with the battery tray. I cut the lip off the top of the tray and could then install the batteries in the tray. The tray even slid in easer with the lip removed. Use caution when removing and replacing batteries as they are very heavy. Also make sure that the cables are tight, mine loosened up causing a little corrosion to build up. I ended up with dead batteries as they would not charge.

Retyred

davebennington

Pictures of mod to battery box

OK,

Here a few pictures of the battery box mod. Being old I could not lift the battery tray with two batteries in it to check to water level (yes I could have purchased a watering system but being poor and having too much time on my hands I went this route). First I pulled out the plastic tray and battery box. Measured everything and built a new box out of MDF board. Made up new cables as I was installing a inverter at the same time. Went to Home Depot or Lowe's and purchased the heaviest drawer slides that they had, I think they are rated at 120 lbs. Then made a tray for the batteries to sit on assembled every thing. One last item if someone is going to attempt this DO NOT FORGET TO DRILL A HOLE FOR A PIN bad things happen if you don't.

Pictures.

Dave

Attachments

• DSC00006.JPG
    DSC00006.JPG
    32.3 KB · Views: 49
  • DSC00007.JPG
    DSC00007.JPG
    31.6 KB · Views: 50
  • DSC00008.JPG
    DSC00008.JPG
    34.9 KB · Views: 47
  • DSC00009.JPG
    DSC00009.JPG
    38.6 KB · Views: 50
  • DSC00010 copy.jpg
    DSC00010 copy.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 48

beardedone

Beardedone
Thank you Dave. That is what I was thinking but not having my trailer yet couldn't determine if there was enough room. I will do that as soon as I get home with the new trailer.