How hard is it to remove the vinyl flooring?

In the process of replacing the carpet, and debating weather to also replace the vinyl floor in the kitchen. 2005 Landmark Golden Gate. So far no squeaks and looks great. Is the vinyl hard to get up because the cabinets are on top of the tile?

Last edited by a moderator:

pmmjarrett

Not just tired..... RETIRED!!!
Vinyl flooring is usually hard to get up because it's glued to the floor. You could cut with a utility knife around the cabinetry easy enough.

Most RVs have the linoleum put down on the floor before anything else is put in. Makes it one piece front to rear so moisture from spills/ leaks won't get to the wood.

What I would do if I had to replace the flooring in my Trailer, (if there is the clearance for the slides),would be to clean the linoleum really well and use armstrong self adhesive vinyl tiles on top for a new finish. Easy to put down and not too bad to replace them as needed in the future.

I'm no flooring or RV expert but sure am getting enough vinyl flooring removal practice remodeling my house right now. Good luck, hope all goes well for ya.

Mike

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
mercuryman, here is a link to my post of the laminate tile floor I installed in my Bighorn kitchen. //heartlandowners.org/showpost.php?p=30486&postcount=16 I hope it works for you. The linoleum is not glued down in RV's to prevent the floor material from cracking in freezing temps. I just removed the trim by the door, pulled the staples in the carpet where it joins the floor and cut around the perimeter with a utility knife. It took 2 days but I think it can be done in a day by someone in better physical shape than me. Constant getting up and down on my knees is a killer for me.

Ray thanks, I saw the pictures and it looks like the Bighorn entry is the same as the Landmark. The vinyl floor in the Landmark is square tiles. I have already done the livingroom area with wood laminate and it looks great, the carpet had stains (grandkids) gotta lovem.

I hear ya on the getting up and down, I worked all day Sat. and I felt it Sun!

pmmjarrett

That looks great Ray. Thanks for the input on the Vinyl not being glued down. Might have to be the first mod on my next trailer. I love laminate flooring.

pmmjarrett

Mercuryman, Grandkids are great. Best part is when something doesn't smell quite right :eek:........ You get to hand them back to their parents with a :D ;)

I'd rather crawl around on my busted knees changing carpet these days than ever change another diaper LOL

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I am not an expert about flooring but a friend of mine put wood laminate down on the floor over the vinyl and it looks great. Later on I plan to do the same. There is no problem putting this down over the vinyl. Another friend had this house tiled and they put it down over the vinyl, which was recommended by the tile setter, again no problem.

FWIW

timk

Ray, I like what you've done. I would like to trash all of our carpet.
I was wondering what the slide does when it sits on top of the laminate. It looks like you've left enough carpet, so its not an issue. But does the slide sit on the transition molding you put in?

Ray LeTourneau

Ray, I like what you've done. I would like to trash all of our carpet.
I was wondering what the slide does when it sits on top of the laminate. It looks like you've left enough carpet, so its not an issue. But does the slide sit on the transition molding you put in?
I use a piece of carpet runner to lay over the transition piece and so far no problems. Half the runner is on the carpet and the other half is on the laminate. On the runner, I trimmed off the little prickly things on the back where it sits on the molding. In addition, I also used brass wood screws to attach the transition to the floor. If you replace all the carpet with laminate, what would you do to cover the area from the slide out floor to the coach floor?

timk

Actually I have only figured out the part about wanting to take it out.

I keep hoping someone else will do it, so I can mooch of of their ideas. I don't think it would be too bad to do all of the main coach floor, but the carpet would either have to stay in the slides, or come up with some yet to be invented hinged, flexible, indestructible transition molding. Weight is another issue, I'm so darned heavy now, I'd hate to add much more weight.

But I do like what you've done, that seems quite do-able. Do you ever have a problem with the carpet balling up when the slide goes in?

Well me and the Mrs. got started on the vinyl tile, it does come up in chunks. It is under the stairs and cabinets so it is a slow process. If I could figure out how to send pictures on the website I would send them your ways.

Ray LeTourneau

Actually I have only figured out the part about wanting to take it out.

I keep hoping someone else will do it, so I can mooch of of their ideas. I don't think it would be too bad to do all of the main coach floor, but the carpet would either have to stay in the slides, or come up with some yet to be invented hinged, flexible, indestructible transition molding. Weight is another issue, I'm so darned heavy now, I'd hate to add much more weight.

But I do like what you've done, that seems quite do-able. Do you ever have a problem with the carpet balling up when the slide goes in?
I hear ya about the weight issue! I figure I added about 70# with the kitchen laminate. No problems yet with the carpet balling up or catching on anything. I guess if I did anything with the LR carpet it would be to have residential good stuff installed by a pro. There are at least a million staples holding this stuff down:eek:. The worst part of doing the transition molding was pulling carpet staples so the molding would fit the way I wanted it to.