Roof issue and no help from factory

sanbullet

I have a 2013 landmark San Antonio which I love but know the roof wood under the rubber roof is buckling up about an 1" or more in some spots . There is no water damage in the coach and I always maintain the roof and the caulking . Doing some research its seems it is the Luan wood that the factory uses on the roof and it buckels beacuse the factory does not attach it in to many areas .It is only three years old but I am the second owner the and factory service rep said that they will not do anything about it. I even ask if they could help out if I bring it to the factory maybe with the cost and he said basically they will not and to busy also. I really like the Rv and in the past with my other heartland the factory always helped out . Not sure what to do I guess I will have to get some prices and see what I can do . I have never head of a factory saying that the warranty only goes with the first owner. My wife and I bought this coach so we could live in it while we are doing volunteer work on the east coast for a couple of years . This is really going to hurt the pocket book if we can even afford it. I wish heartland would help out some being that it is a factory defect .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 236
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 257
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 253

John T Bettencourt

I had that same problem and sent pictures to Heartland and they would do nothing for me either. But two years ago a tree fell on my Landmark and the insurance company paid for a new roof. The RV repair shop told me that Heartland only attached each piece only on the ends. My repair shop fixed it while installing the new roof and now the roof is flat. I think the only way it can be fixed is to remove the existing rubber roof. Good luck

danemayer

I have never head of a factory saying that the warranty only goes with the first owner.

It's actually quite common for warranties on RVs to only apply to the first owner. Also, if you read the warranty pages on all of your appliances in the RV, you'll probably find the same limitation.

Unfortunately, if the rubber roof is removed, the luan will be damaged because the rubber roof is glued to the luan. The roof will then have to be sanded smooth, and a new luan sheet glued into place, followed by a new rubber roof. All vents, air conditioners, fans, covers, and the ladder have to be removed and reinstalled. The roofing materials don't cost that much, but there's a great deal of labor required. Very expensive.

But if your theory about attachment points is correct, it might be possible to inject glue into the problem areas, weight down the glued area until the glue cures, and then cover the injection site with a small Eternabond patch.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
If you can locate a roof rafter the approach I would take would be the least expensive.
Cut a small slit at the rafter, run screw through the wood and into the rafter. Apply a piece of Eternabond followed by some Decor self leveling caulk.
I don't know if that would work but it is certainly worth looking at.

Peace
Dave

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I know it certainly doesn't look good, but what are the potential problems that could arise?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wdk450

I have had good luck in locating the roof rafters by going on the roof in the morning after a cool, dewey night. Due to differences in temperture, the rafters show up in the dew pattern.

GOTTOYS

I don't think it should make any difference who owns the trailer. On a rig this new, if the problem is due to the way it was built, I think the factory should step up to the plate and make it right. This does not encourage others to want to buy a Heartland product, new or used...JMHO..Don... So how long will it be before this post is deleted?

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
FWIW, this is a BC roof section prior to the rubber being put on it. As you can see, the panels run across the roof. If they're attached at the ends and bent across the roof, it's hard to imagine they would be able to curl up in the center. Especially if no moisture has contacted them. That said, I also think HL should step up and at least offer to examine it for any possible assembly defect. An analysis of the failure mechanism might allow their engineers to learn how to prevent future occurrences.

danemayer

if the problem is due to the way it was built, I think the factory should step up to the plate and make it right.

I'd guess the #1 issue is the question of whether the problem was due to a manufacturing defect, or due to a maintenance issue - perhaps something that started before the 2nd owner bought the unit.

sanbullet

Thanks for all h advice but in my case the whole roof is doing this in sections pretty sure it is do to the way the factory attaches to the rafters . I blieve the rafters are space farther apart then normal because of the block foam construction of the roof. I have always like heartlands and love there parts department . But it seems in talking to other ones that this an issue with heartland and how they construct the roofs that have the block foam in them . It just would be the right thing to do I feel if they could help out a little being its so new. Basically all they said was there are some repair shop in the area of the factory that could help. The only way to fix this right is to take the roof off and put new wood down. It really stinks

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Thanks for all h advice but in my case the whole roof is doing this in sections pretty sure it is do to the way the factory attaches to the rafters . I blieve the rafters are space farther apart then normal because of the block foam construction of the roof. I have always like heartlands and love there parts department . But it seems in talking to other ones that this an issue with heartland and how they construct the roofs that have the block foam in them . It just would be the right thing to do I feel if they could help out a little being its so new. Basically all they said was there are some repair shop in the area of the factory that could help. The only way to fix this right is to take the roof off and put new wood down. It really stinks

I have never heard of anyone else with this problem.

richheck

Seasoned Member
My first impression is for you to check your A/C unit where the problem is occurring. Looks like your A/C seal is leaking and the leakage is wicking across the roof panel being there is no seam at that location.

donr827

When I had a similar problem on my previous SOB water wicked from a bad glue job on the roof next to the a/c.. The manufacturer replaced under warranty.
Don

genep777

I don't think it should make any difference who owns the trailer. On a rig this new, if the problem is due to the way it was built, I think the factory should step up to the plate and make it right. This does not encourage others to want to buy a Heartland product, new or used...JMHO..Don... So how long will it be before this post is deleted?

I've had the same issue with PrimeTime on front cap fading. I purchased 2014 unit used in March 2015. The factory refused to cover a $1200 fix, so this may be fairly common in the industry. I don't agree with this practice either.

avvidclif

Cars are about the only thing I know of where the warranty is transferable. The electronics equipment I deal with is first owner only.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Now I have heard that Heartland has fixed the frame flex issue for second owners. In the case of the OP, since the roof material has not been compromised by the wood warping underneath, maybe HL doesn't think it's a problem. If the roof membrane where rubbing and splitting because of the warped panels, then maybe so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kowAlski631

If it's a result of a manufacturing error, why wasn't it discovered before now and why haven't there been other complaints? This is just a question I have.

Martha

SNOKING

Have you talked to your insurance agent about this? They may cover the repair cost and talk with the manufacturer after the fact. Chris

Jarod

I'm having the same issue with the roof on a 2015 Heartland Big Country 3950FB. The factory is trying to tell me that the damage was caused by an impact. The camper has never been hit and the dealer is even getting mad at Heatland, because they can tell it's a manufacturing problem and not physical damage. I'd post some photos, but I'm new member so I don't have that option yet.