Satelite hook-up

mike

Mike
I just took delivery on our new Big Horn 3655RD and was getting ready to install my satelite system when I found that there is no cable in the entertainment center in the den for satelite. I have two cables coming in to an A/B switch and i'm thinking that one is outside ant and the other is for cable but no cable or jack for satelite can anyone give ne any ideas...?

jbeletti

Mike,

Click here and find the post with the A/V Wiring Diagram, then print that diagram out.

An RF A/B switch can be used to switch 2 inputs or feeds to a single or common output (like your TV set) or to switch a single input (source) between 2 outputs. Heartland is using the A/B switch in the Bighorn to switch between two inputs (sources) - Satellite (the green labeled wire) and Cable (the red labled wire).

To add a satellite receiver in the entertainment cabinet, you would:
  1. Disconnect the green labled wire from the B port on the A/B switch and connect it to the satellite dish input on the satellite receiver.

2. Use an RF (radio frequency) coaxial jumper with 2 male F-connectors to connect the satellite receiver to the B port on the A/B switch. Since the switch is an RF switch, you would be using the RF output of the satellite receiver.

Optionally, if your TV set has audio/video inputs, you can skip step 2 above and using an RCA male to RCA male video and stereo audio jumper set, connnect the audio/video outputs of the satellite receiver to the audio/video inputs of the TV set.

Finally, if the stereo system that comes with the Bighorn has an additional unused audio input, you can use it to run the audio output of the satellite receiver into that additional audio input of the stereo system to get satellite audio to play out through the stereo system's speakers. I've done this in my Landmark.

Best of luck to you.

Jim

mike

Mike
Jim, Thanks for the diagram.

After I posted this I relized that I had had a brain melt down and went back inside an was able to get it hooked up. But one thing I did not see was any color coding (red/green) on any of the cables...

Once again thanks for the help

Mike

jbeletti

Look for a single wrap of colored electrical tape near the connectors. For the green tape, it's probably near the connector before the A/B switch. I added a marker tag to my wiring once I figured it all out. It will make it easier when I do any rewiring.

Glad you got it going.

Jim

mhedlund

Mike & Mary
Mike, I just took possession of my 3055RL and I ran into the same problem. Talking with my service dealer, I was told that the satellite hook is located behind the 27" TV in the Living area. These TV's are mounted with velco on the bottom and are a little cumbersome to undo and move around. I haven't had time to check into this yet, but I do plan on it this week end.

Mike Hedlund
2006 Big Horn 3055RL
2003 Ford 250 6.0 Diesel

Mike, What do you suggest on the Big Horn 3055 and a Dual Dish system? Any help you may offer will be appreciated. Thanks, Coyotejones

mike

Mike
Coyotejones, I have a dual lnb dish for our 3655rd, will be running the second cable to bedroom this weekend maybe this will not be to major of a project to hook up to second receiver..

Mike, Yes as Jim stated if you have an a/b switch the cable attached to the (A) side is for satellite. The tv in our living area was screwed down from the bottom of cabinet I guess thet wanted to make sure it was not going anywhere..

Mike