Fan replacement

sealman

I am getting ready to replace the fan in the toilet area with a fantastic fan...Question being: What is the proper wat to remove to caulking that is slathered on the old fan on the roof? Do I use a putty knife/scraper, or will it damage the rubber roof.
John

SmokeyBare

SealMan,

It's going to be your job NOT to damage the rubber roof material... I have used both a plastic scraper and a Metal putty knife to remove the caulking around vents and seams.

Begin on the hard surface of the vent flashing.. prying the material off the surface... when you've enough to grasp... gently start lifting as you work the blade under the caulking material. Your going to quickly see how it comes off.

Clean the area well but be careful not to use any cleaner that will damage the rubber roof material. Petroleum based products will damage the rubber roof.

Good Luck on the project !

cj11302000

I just put in a Shurflo Platinum fan in the bedroom vent of our 2009 Sundance 2997BHS. I used a plastic putty knife and did my best to get all of the putty off. You really can't get all of it off, but you can get close. The putty knife worked really well. I then put the new butyl tape in place and the vent installed perfectly. A little caulking later and it was all done. It was so easy that I'm just ordered another one to put in the main living area vent.