Major Update to Low Clearance Database

SilverRhino

Folks at RvSafetyFirst have just announced a major update to the LowClearane database. ( See Following ) The data is available for Garmin, Microsoft Streets & Trips, Google Earth,TomTom, MapSource, and Rand McNally. You can access all of the formats that you require for your personal use. For a small yearly subscription this data is available for you to download to your GPS. An even better deal is to get a lifetime subscription and then you will receive all the updates. Go to LowClearances.com to update or get your subscription. This is by far the best source I have found for low clearances and is very easy to use.

"We are very pleased to announce that we have released a huge upgrade for
the Route-1 low clearance database. The USA data has been vastly improved
with more than 2000 additions taking it to over 7000 locations.

There have also been a significant amount of corrections and deletions
making this latest edition the best it's ever been. The Canada data has
also been updated to now include over 800 locations."

Travel Safe!

Bigburd

I have more issues with low hanging electric and cable lines over the roadway. Keep taking out cable lines on my street when I come back from trips. Cable company won't move higher.

Bones

I have more issues with low hanging electric and cable lines over the roadway. Keep taking out cable lines on my street when I come back from trips. Cable company won't move higher.
They are suppose to have lines at 14 feet at all times.

GWRam

I've notice on a few streets near our house that the cable hangs too low they have just recently put up no thru truck signs. I'm guessing they think that will keep taller vehicles out. Be nice if they would just put the cables up higher where they were before. No idea why they lowered them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GWRam

Anyone know if there is a way to get this low clearance data base to interface with RAM Uconnect nav system

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
One nice thing about our area and most of the Denver Metro area is that the phone, power and cable lines are buried.

Bones

I've notice on a few streets near our house that the cable hangs too low they have just recently put up no thru truck signs. I'm guessing they think that will keep taller vehicles out. Be nice if they would just put the cables up higher where they were before. No idea why they lowered them.

They can put no through trucks but a truck making a delivery may need to go there and they are still responsible for having wires and cables at proper height.

TxCowboy

Here in San Antonio just a couple of weeks ago, one of the local television stations had a news article about overpass clearances on some of our major local roadways and interstate overpasses. They showed several examples where the road ways have been repaved numerous times over several years and that the clearances just are NOT what they should be. One in particular that I remember showed a typical 18 wheeler with box trailer passing under an overpass marked as 15 feet, 3 inches but the top of the truck and trailer was clearing the underpass by only a few inches (think 3 inches!!). The minimum clearance should be much, much more than that!

Thanks for posting about these new updates and, folks, if you do a lot of traveling, buy this software. It's another tool you should have in your trip planning toolbox. :)

windviewer

An acquaintance truck driver in New York state made this comment on a related topic wrt databases of low bridges:
New York marks all its bridges a foot lower than actual. My highest load puts me at 12'6'. I entered that figure in my GPS's vehicle data. So it constantly gives warning about low bridges.Which I ignore. I know the few really low bridges(all rail road) in my AO.

Another acquaintance who moves large equipment around the country says the databases help, but you can't trust them and they have to run the route ahead of time to check it out (and they frequently have to move wires anyway as they pass through)

nscaler2

It's too bad that this won't work with Google Maps, just google earth. We use our phones to navigate with ever since google maps has had the navigation feature. Previously used a Garmin and Low clearances. Their data base is far more extensive than most others. Google maps is far better than anything Garmin has at this time, and it automatically updates for free.

danemayer

An acquaintance truck driver in New York state made this comment on a related topic wrt databases of low bridges:
New York marks all its bridges a foot lower than actual. My highest load puts me at 12'6'. I entered that figure in my GPS's vehicle data. So it constantly gives warning about low bridges.Which I ignore. I know the few really low bridges(all rail road) in my AO.

Another acquaintance who moves large equipment around the country says the databases help, but you can't trust them and they have to run the route ahead of time to check it out (and they frequently have to move wires anyway as they pass through)

Your acquaintance may end up on the news one day.

I am also looking for either a way to update u connect or for an app for iPad or android, as we will be installing a month for it in the truck when it comes. What is the best app? Hate to have another the on the dash with the others.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
I also am waiting to update U-Connect which is a Garmin product. Garmin wants to charge $149 to update my current nav system which has to be done yearly at that cost. I hate paying them that yearly. My 2012 Chrysler 300 keeps giving me warning that I'm out of date and I'm suppose to contact my dealer. That's a joke in that my local dealer knows nothing about updating the nav/u-connect system. Guess the story goes back to "sale the vehicle but forget about any service down the road". Our 2014 Ram hasn't starting this warning yet.

Bones

I also am waiting to update U-Connect which is a Garmin product. Garmin wants to charge $149 to update my current nav system which has to be done yearly at that cost. I hate paying them that yearly. My 2012 Chrysler 300 keeps giving me warning that I'm out of date and I'm suppose to contact my dealer. That's a joke in that my local dealer knows nothing about updating the nav/u-connect system. Guess the story goes back to "sale the vehicle but forget about any service down the road". Our 2014 Ram hasn't starting this warning yet.
I have grips about that system that it is in a truck and there is no way to tell it what you are pulling and height restrictions and so on.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Thanks for the tip on the low clearance database.

I've been fighting with the Rand McNally 5510 software for two days trying to get it updated, my maps updated and the poi's imported. It's like it's stuck in molasses, or it crashes. Gotta love that 2011 technology.

ksucats

Here in Manhappiness Kansas the city says trees and lines must be 12 feet above the roadway. With a coach that is listed at 13.3 I have some problems. Went to city commission meeting years ago and they just said that was the law and they might, if enough people complained, look into it. Oh well.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Thanks for the tip on the low clearance database.

I've been fighting with the Rand McNally 5510 software for two days trying to get it updated, my maps updated and the poi's imported. It's like it's stuck in molasses, or it crashes. Gotta love that 2011 technology.

A followup to this, when I added ALL the low clearances, thinking it would just show them on the map, I was sadly mistaken. The Rand McNally GPS decided we needed to avoid ALL OF THESE POIs, regardless of the height! So, following the GPS, we took about an hour detour through Oklahoma City residential and retail areas, as well as no-shoulder, winding hilly county roads, with low tree branches and one steep railroad crossing.... all to avoid the 14'3" bridges on I-35! When I finally deleted the ALL LOW CLEARANCES POI database, we were directed back onto the interstate. (I did keep a separate database, low clearances 14' and lower).

busted2341

Love these coversations. We finallly are beginning to trust Sync in our F350. The navigation system has been pretty acurate but it does require EXACT information. My complaint to ford about not being able to program some information to look for as others have said, such as low bridges and what your towing, fell on deaf ears with Ford as well.