Do you keep it or not???

nscaler2

We have a 2006 Ford F350 with 6.0 engine and 3.73 rear end. The truck only has 28000 miles on it. I had been noticing that it was shifting hard when going into 1st when slowing down to a stop. It would also shift hard when starting back up out of 1st. Took it to the dealership to be repaired. They said the torque converter had gone and there were metal chips in the oil pan. They replaced the converter with a new one and rebuilt the rest of the transmission. Obviously, this was done under warranty at no charge. We have towed our 3055RL with it approximately 4000 miles in total. Always used tow-haul to pull and generally babied it as much as I can. The question is - do I keep the truck or do I trade it for something else. The logic here is that they replaced what failed with more of the same things that failed in the first place. Maybe I am just parinoid, but this makes me wonder when this will happen again, and sooner or later it will be out of warranty and cost a bundle???:confused:

truknutt

Committed Member
The same thing happened with our '03...downshifted so abruptly one morning that it nearly put DW's head in the windshield (had she been sitting still...but that's another issue!) :eek: Luckily ours only required a computer re-flash to remedy the problem.

I'm not sure what the drivetrain warranty is on your rig but have you considered purchasing Ford's Extended Service Plan (ESP) for, if nothing else, that peace of mind you're looking for?

It would definitely be less expensive than a new TV!

Just a thought....

pmmjarrett

Not just tired..... RETIRED!!!
My '06 F350 4x4 DRW CC had the six oh no and the torque shift automatic.

The Torque shift automatic actually has a good reputation and is the same transmission used behind the new 6.4 powerstroke so if you buy a new Ford Superduty diesel you are not getting a different tranny than what you already have. I Did not have any problems with it and half my miles are towing. In fact only problem I ever had with the truck is both batteries froze in Jamestown, ND this winter. I was parked overnight at a hotel in -40F (not wind chill) and 40 mph winds with the tail of the trailer in the wind.

Traded it 2 months ago with 125,000 miles. Reason, poor fuel economy for what I do, got tired of throwing money at it to get better fuel economy. Can't **** about comfort, performance or reliability. Even though the 6.0 has a bad reputation, I didn't have problems with it.

It got 8.5 - 10.5 towing and 15 - 16 empty. The Dodge in my sig is saving me $400 a week in fuel costs, gets 11-15 towing (have seen 19 towing a small boat) and 22 - 23 empty..... These are hand calculated figures.

Best to you in your decision.

Last edited by a moderator:

StevieWonder

The rebuilt box should carry a 1yr warranty, but you can replace the transmission every other year for less than a few month's payments on a new rig. FWIW, I've found you can get a good used tranny from a wrecked vehicle for about 1/3 of the price of a new/rebuilt one. Believe it or not there are some reputable used parts dealers and any good independent shop can remove/replace it in a day.

I'd keep it and make the decision IF the tranny folds again. Y

svd

I had the same thing happen to my 2001 F-350 at 20,000 miles. The dealer installed a rebuilt trans, and new torque convertor. I now have nearly 110,000 miles with no problems.

davebennington

I just went through the same problem (torque converter and transmission), it is a difficult decision to make. I have 29000 miles on our tv, I am going to wait until the regular warranty runs out and then go for the extended warranty from Dodge. Good luck in your quest.

Dave

billd

The only thing I would do is add an inline filter from the trans cooler back to the trans. If there were chips in the old one, some might have gotten into the trans cooler and unless the dealer replaced it, there could be a chip stuck in the cooler waiting to come out. The inline filter would catch that and prevent another failure from something floating around.

Bill

nhunter

I found out that the Torqueshift actually has two filters in it. One external one in the pan and an internal one that you need to remove the pan for. I put 106000m on my 04 with no tranny troubles and have 72000m on an 06 with no troubles too. It could be ike the high pressure oil pump that they got a bad run of, and replaced them and no troubles. Hopefully the dealer was smart enough to do a flush after the failure.

Cooper

I would keep the truck I have the new Fords diesel get bad MPG. I have an 08 F350 CC 4X4 in town around 12 mpg,Hwy 21 mpg and towing 8 mpg. That is a lot less than my 06 but, the 08 will pull a freight train and handles great.