Water Pump Question

Buckeye

Is there an inline fuse on the wiring to the water pump? Red light on panel is on but pump is not running. Only used the pump a few times in the past. I had everything set up to winterize prior to leaving our snowbird site in SC and the water pump failed to run. Any suggestions from you old timers out there?

jbeletti

Is there an inline fuse on the wiring to the water pump? Red light on panel is on but pump is not running. Only used the pump a few times in the past. I had everything set up to winterize prior to leaving our snowbird site in SC and the water pump failed to run. Any suggestions from you old timers out there?

Yes - there is an inline fuse at the pump in addition to being fused in the fuse panel.

Buckeye

Thanks for the replies. I am assuming since the light on the panel is on that the inline fuse may be blown or the pump is bad. It is times like this that I wish I was a smaller person in order to maneuver my old butt in the cramped basement of my fifth wheel to check it out.

BigJim45

Luv'n Life
On my rig when that red light is lite it means that there is power to the pump. Red light stays on.

jbeletti

If you have the DC fuse panel with the red LEDs, having an LED on generally indicates the circuit is switched on but that the fuse is blown next to the LED. I'd start there and if that fuse is good, then go right to the pump and using a volt meter, check for power at the wire nuts where power connects to the pump. If it's good there, pierce the jacket on the hot lead after the pump fuse and check for power there.

Roller4tan

Just had this same issue. On closer inspection I found the pump motor was running, but since it wasn't pumping water, it was very quiet and you had to be close to feel the vibration. I had water at the inlet and the strainer was clean. Took the pump out and tore into it , but didn't see anything obvious wrong. Bought a better one and installed it and all was well. I decided to check closer and hooked the pump to my truck battery and felt for suction and found NONE. Took it apart again, this time removing the check valve cover and the pressure cover. Anyway the check valve was stuck closed. I pushed it open with my finger and put it all back together and got suction. Now I have a spare.
Point is check to see if the pump is actually running, It's not as noisy if it's not pumping.

Buckeye

Update-Water pump fixed, wire nut connection came loose. While crawling around behind the wall in the basement I was disgusted by the amount of trash that was left by the people who put my fifth wheel together. What ever happened to taking pride in workmanship and doing the job right the first time? It is Heartland management's responsibility to create an environment that allows, and encourages, people to care.

Az_Ernie

Update-Water pump fixed, wire nut connection came loose. While crawling around behind the wall in the basement I was disgusted by the amount of trash that was left by the people who put my fifth wheel together. What ever happened to taking pride in workmanship and doing the job right the first time? It is Heartland management's responsibility to create an environment that allows, and encourages, people to care.
I hear you Jim! I had to get in behind the UDC on our BH when installing our Trav'ler Sat System. I couldn't believe the rat's nest of wiring and trash. I understand time is money for ALL recreational vehicle manufacturers, but come on. How much time would it take to at least clean up the scrap wiring, insulation, wood and other trash left behind?

sjandbj

I hear you Jim! I had to get in behind the UDC on our BH when installing our Trav'ler Sat System. I couldn't believe the rat's nest of wiring and trash. I understand time is money for ALL recreational vehicle manufacturers, but come on. How much time would it take to at least clean up the scrap wiring, insulation, wood and other trash left behind?

This seems to be a common complaint from all of us that have opened up the wall to add or repair something. When I added my solar system I was amazed at the amount of stuff I found. And this was after I thought I had gotten it all when I installed my EMS box. I think they put the corraplast on then turn the frame right side up. After that it is just a big trash can to collect all the waste material. I am surprised i have not found someones lunch box in the bottom yet. :)

Steve