TPMS Sensors - Rubber vs Metal Valve Stems

Az_Ernie

We just purchased a Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) for our 2014 Chev 2500HD and our 3160EL Bighorn. The truck has an OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) TPMS installed. Before purchasing a system, we did our homework and gathered as much information as we could concerning the pros and cons of a few TPMS systems. In our research, we found that it would probably be a good idea to install the sensors on metal valve stems. Our 2500HD's OEM valve stems are rubber, so after deciding on and purchasing a TPMS (TST 507RV), we took our truck in to have the rubber stems replaced with metal stems. To our surprise, the tire shop (Discount Tire) informed us that the OEM TPMS sensors are installed internally on special rubber valve stems and can not be replaced with metal stems and still operate properly. This was verified with a phone call to our local Chevrolet Dealership's service department. Surprised that with all our pre purchase research, no one ever mentioned that replacing the OEM rubber stems would render the OEM TPMS inoperable. We called Truck System Technologies, manufactures of our newly purchased TPMS and asked for their advice on our problem. The technician we spoke with told us that the non-flow through sensors we had purchased would work with our truck's rubber valve stems. They explained that unlike the longer and heavier flow through type sensors, ours were lighter and shorter and are designed to work with rubber valve stems.

Has anyone purchased and used the TST 507RV TPMS and installed the non-flow through sensors on your tow vehicle's OEM rubber valve stems? If so, have you experienced any valve stem or other related failures?

Ladiver

Been running on rubber valve stems on my truck for two years. I leave the TST 507 non flow through sensors on 24/7. My truck does not have OEM TPMS, so it is not a big deal either way.

I did replace the trailer's valve stems to metal. I needed more clearance from the wheel in order to install the sensor. I see zero performance difference between using rubber or metal stems.

Az_Ernie

Been running on rubber valve stems on my truck for two years. I leave the TST 507 non flow through sensors on 24/7. My truck does not have OEM TPMS, so it is not a big deal either way.

I did replace the trailer's valve stems to metal. I needed more clearance from the wheel in order to install the sensor. I see zero performance difference between using rubber or metal stems.
Thanks, Jeff! That was the warm fuzzy I was looking for. We'll just be using ours when towing and hope to have the same good results as you have experienced.

Ladiver

You are welcome. I did have to add the repeater to my setup. The distance between the rear axle of my CY3100 and the dash of my long bed truck was a little bit of a stretch for the wireless signal. After adding the repeater to the generator compartment of the trailer, I have had ZERO issues.

bigdob24

I have the 507 TPMS on my BC and it's a great system. Mine are not the type you can air up, I have to remove them to adjust air pressure
When I changed out the blowmax tires for Sailuns the tire pressure jumped up to 110 psi .
My local tire shop used high pressure rubber valve stems and within a month I had two of the valve stems blow out.
I then had them install all metal stems and have not had any issues since.
The TPMS alerted me and I was able to get off the road into a truck stop and change the tire before any damage to the tire

Bohemian

Rubber stems will vibrate and wear at a much faster rate when the external sensors are mounted.

Az_Ernie

I have the 507 TPMS on my BC and it's a great system. Mine are not the type you can air up, I have to remove them to adjust air pressure
When I changed out the blowmax tires for Sailuns the tire pressure jumped up to 110 psi .
My local tire shop used high pressure rubber valve stems and within a month I had two of the valve stems blow out.
I then had them install all metal stems and have not had any issues since.
The TPMS alerted me and I was able to get off the road into a truck stop and change the tire before any damage to the tire
Thanks, bigdob24!
Our BH also has the 110# Sailuns. The wheels on the BH came with metal valve stems from the factory. Unfortunately the truck has rubber valve stems. If I change them out, we lose our OEM TPMS. Should we have a problem with rubber valve stems, I will have to take the TST 507 sensors off the truck and just go with the sensors on the BH.

DougS

Doug S
Metal valves stems are the way to go. I had one rubber stem valve on the RV and the rest were metal. The rubber stem started leaking from stem coming in contact with the rim. I was able to get to a tire place but I had to wait 2 hours for my place in line.
With that said, the nut on the metal stems should be tighten once and while. I had one leak on me.

Az_Ernie

Metal valves stems are the way to go. I had one rubber stem valve on the RV and the rest were metal. The rubber stem started leaking from stem coming in contact with the rim. I was able to get to a tire place but I had to wait 2 hours for my place in line.
With that said, the nut on the metal stems should be tighten once and while. I had one leak on me.
Thanks, Doug,
I'll have to check the torque on our metal valve stems on the BH.

- - - Updated - - -

Rubber stems will vibrate and wear at a much faster rate when the external sensors are mounted.

Yeah, that's my fear with the rubber valve stems on the truck.

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
Ernie:

The manual for my TPMS states to use metal stem valves for the type I purchased, they screw on top of the stem and not the type that allows you to add air without removing.

Az_Ernie

Ernie:

The manual for my TPMS states to use metal stem valves for the type I purchased, they screw on top of the stem and not the type that allows you to add air without removing.
Garry,
Does your Ram have an OEM TPMS? If so, did your truck come equipped with metal valve stems?

porthole

Retired
You are supposed to use "all metal" stems, stems that are held in with an internal flange and an external nut. These are stronger the the "partial" metal stems that are imbedded in rubber.

That said, I used the 507 sensors on my GMC for 2 years and on the trailer for a year with the rubber stems with no issues.

Az_Ernie

You are supposed to use "all metal" stems, stems that are held in with an internal flange and an external nut. These are stronger the the "partial" metal stems that are imbedded in rubber.

That said, I used the 507 sensors on my GMC for 2 years and on the trailer for a year with the rubber stems with no issues.
Understand. I think I'm leaning towards rolling the dice and using the 507 system with our rubber valve stems.

Nbomar

Absolutely. My rear valve stems were laying over and eventually ate through the rubber and lost pressure while trying to get home towing our camper. Luckily I carry a PowerTank with me everywhere so every 30 minutes I pulled over and re aired my tire back to 80 psi. Ended up figuring out if I held the valve stem over on its side it wouldn't leak so I taped it down to the side of the wheel to get home. Put metal valve stems in the next morning.
65f7eeb7bdf0953774013c1a2c63b3a1.jpg

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
Garry,
Does your Ram have an OEM TPMS? If so, did your truck come equipped with metal valve stems?

[Ernie: Sorry my response was in regard to the RV not my truck. Yes the Ram came with TPMS and you are correct, only rubber works with OEM system on the trucks...not sure why! I tried to have metal on my other Ram and it wasn't possible so didn't even try on my 2016...]

mlpeloquin

Always metal stems with any extra weight hanging on the end. The rubber stems bend and flex continuously with weight on the end. A small crack will slowly expand until you wish you had metal stems. Metal stems don't cost much vs having a problem on the road.

Gary521

Just curious. What is wrong with the tpms that came with the truck and why do you want to replace it?

Az_Ernie

Just curious. What is wrong with the tpms that came with the truck and why do you want to replace it?

Gary521,

When we purchased the TST 507RV TPMS we were not aware that we could not replace the rubber valve stems on our TV without rendering the OEM TPMS inoperable. The TST system is much more user friendly and monitors tire temperatures as well. Since the OEM system is not capable of monitoring the trailer, we purchased enough sensors to monitor the trailer and truck. We do not want to replace the OEM TMPS and is why we are willing to use the truck's rubber valve stems (maybe).

Last edited: