2016 Bighorn 3270RS Solar Ready

jimtoo

Hi leaddog,

I think some of the units are, or do have some wiring for solar. I suggest you call Heartland Customer service, 877-262-8032, 574-262-8030 and check.

Jim M

RVFun4Us

Also have a 2016 3270RS. Although I do not have solar yet, there is a connection on the top right of the front luggage door next to the "Extend"/"Retract" toggle switch. Also a decal next to the doorside propane tank door that indicates "solar ready" and rated for 20 amps. Lists a website of "solarontheside.com". Hope that helps.

Aandaar

I to had the plugin next to the switch on our 3970RD and contacted Heartland. They told me that about mid model year 2016 they started including the plugin for a solar panel to be used to charge the on board batteries. It is only wired to the batteries in the front storage/Generator bay. You can not power your unit with it.

jgbagwell

1. Does the pre-wired connection for charging the house batteries have a controller? I mean, does it have a device that will deactivate the charging effect when the house batteries reach optimal charge? So as not to boil-over the batteries.
  2. If it does have a controller, does it also serve as a maintainer. As a battery maintainer, does the device help prevent battery cell sulfation?
  3. Do the battery disconnects need to be in the off position?
  4. Does the solar charge go thru the InteliPower converter? Which has a controller and maintainer.
  5. Can I plug in a 120 volt battery maintainer to this port instead of a solar panel? Again, do the battery disconnects need to be in off position?
Thanks for the help.

danemayer

Hi jgbagwell,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

I'm sure another owner can answer your questions about the Solar wiring.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
You might call Heartland direct and ask what they are installing. Have your vin# ready.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LBR

1. Does the pre-wired connection for charging the house batteries have a controller? I mean, does it have a device that will deactivate the charging effect when the house batteries reach optimal charge? So as not to boil-over the batteries.
  2. If it does have a controller, does it also serve as a maintainer. As a battery maintainer, does the device help prevent battery cell sulfation?
  3. Do the battery disconnects need to be in the off position?
  4. Does the solar charge go thru the InteliPower converter? Which has a controller and maintainer.
  5. Can I plug in a 120 volt battery maintainer to this port instead of a solar panel? Again, do the battery disconnects need to be in off position?
Thanks for the help.
My understanding is it is simply a convenient plugin that ties into the + & - of your battery bank for the portable solar on the side plugin....eliminates fishing alligator clamps onto battery posts and nothing more....No controller/maintainer as that is included with the panels at purchase time.

Nuclearcowboy

I to had the plugin next to the switch on our 3970RD and contacted Heartland. They told me that about mid model year 2016 they started including the plugin for a solar panel to be used to charge the on board batteries. It is only wired to the batteries in the front storage/Generator bay. You can not power your unit with it.
I agree with this Aandaar, we had the early 2016 version of the 3270RS and it did not have a solar connection - the later 2016 models started showing up with them.

jgbagwell

Great responses folks. I'll contact Heartland and ask. I'll post what Heartland replies.
I'll take a peak at tracing the wiring. It's a shame if they didn't wire it to the IntelliPower to use it as controller and maintainer. It has the ChargeWizard built in.

Alan_B

Great responses folks. I'll contact Heartland and ask. I'll post what Heartland replies.

I would be interested in the response also. My 2016 3570RS does not have the solar ready port. I have sent an e-mail to solarontheside.com technical support to find out about a retro-fit kit. So far no response.

Alan_B

I talked to technical support for Go Power electric, the folks behind solarontheside.com.

• They sell two portable solar kits that use the solar-ready plug, 120 watt and 80 watt. You can see them here: http://shop.gpelectric.com/collections/portable-solar-kits
  • A retro-fit kit is available for RVs that don't have the solar-ready plug. That part doesn't show up on the website, you would have to call.
  • The solar-ready wiring just connects to the batteries. It does not run through the converter or a charge controller in the RV.
  • The solar charge controller is built into the portable solar panels themselves.

jgbagwell

I talked to technical support for Go Power electric, the folks behind solarontheside.com.
  • The solar-ready wiring just connects to the batteries. It does not run through the converter or a charge controller in the RV.

Alan_B you found the answer for me. I have a 35 watt solar panel. I'll get a charger/maintainer to put in between the panel and the batteries. I just want the batteries maintained & charged during storage. My past Mobile Scout went thru 2 pairs of house batteries in 11 years. It wasn't worth pulling out the 6 year old panel and controller. I'm sure my new panel and controller are the most technologically advanced that the solar power industry has to offer. I just want it to maintain the batteries during storage.
Thanks to everyone. I appreciate the links to the expansive solar power systems. I'm not ready for that.
I appreciate everyone's help.