Upgrade or New truck ?

chrizg

Trying to decide if I should try to upgrade my current truck (in sig) or purchase a new one. Truck is not chipped and the only mod so far is a 5" exhaust from the turbo with some kind of high air passing muffler. Truck is pretty loud.

At the end of last year we took our Big County to the factory to fix some frame flex and while there we went to the local dealership and they had a deal on a Landmark we couldn't pass up. Problem is the new camper is overweight for our truck. Rated towing cap for the truck is 13.5 and we are prob 15-16 loaded up.

Truck pulls it pretty decent and did ok on the 8 hour trip home, but the truck runs at around 200deg when pulling old camper(12k) and when empty and when pulling the new camper it runs 205 deg. Not a big deal, just notice that stuff. The only issue we had was a 10 or 12% grade up hill over in eastern iowa that I thought we weren't going to make it up the hill. Truck had to work hard to get up and almost sounded like the trans or something slipped. Truck didn't get hot or anything, just was working like crazy. I know that being over weight is enough to upgrade, but then I read stuff that this is a good year of truck, and people using older models pulling heavy.

Kbvols

Got it ....signature doesn't show on Tapatalk...and is not listed in the profile on TApa

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

wehavefun

The good thing is your truck even though it is 2 wd has great value because of the Cummins!
A new truck has way more torque and horsepower you will be shocked!
Largest stocking dealer I know is www.31dodge.com
I have purchased a truck from them for a friend. One of the easiest, cleanest deals I have done and I have purchased many vehicles!

caissiel

Gages are an asset. The 5.9L is a great engine with a weak transmission. A transmission gage and slower speeds in the hills might save your truck.

Hansel

10-12% grade I think most truck's might have some issue's, I find it amazing that you are over weight with a 3500 DRW, but again I don't know that much about Dodge truck's. Sounds like you are trying too talk yourself into a new truck, I know I do all the time but I can't afford another mortgage payment right now.

SNOKING

New RAMs are really sweet. I say new 3500 DRW, Aisin tranny, rear air suspension and 3.73 or 4.10 gears(if you have 10-12% grades then 4.10's. However I question that?). Trim level is our choice, we have a Laramie and friend has Long Horn! Quiet, smooth and loaded with bells and whistles. You will get top dollar for your 06.

Chris

SNOKING

If you like your truck, keep it. Change your rear end gear ratio to 4.30 or even 4.56.

That is a very slippery slope. 06's came with 3.73 or 4.10 gears. the 4.10 will get it up hills much better, however that is only half the battle as you have to come back down which means an exhaust brake. Then a beefed up tranny, a chip for more power, on and on.

New RAMs do that out the door! Yeah, I know that the other two do it also, put I am a three time RAM owner. 1993, 2001.5 and 2015.

Chris

Gaffer

Yes the tranny will still be the weak link and I would not have another truck without an effective exhaust brake. I love heading down a 6% grade with the exhaust brake on and never touching the service brakes. I got 100k out of my front brakes thanks in part to the OEM exhaust brake.
That is a very slippery slope. 06's came with 3.73 or 4.10 gears. the 4.10 will get it up hills much better, however that is only half the battle as you have to come back down which means an exhaust brake. Then a beefed up tranny, a chip for more power, on and on.

New RAMs do that out the door! Yeah, I know that the other two do it also, put I am a three time RAM owner. 1993, 2001.5 and 2015.

Chris

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I have a 2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD without any of the exhaust brake options . . .

If you know how to ride the tranny . . . going downhill in the Rocky Mountains ain't no issue!

While I wish I did have the exhaust brake option . . . I will have it when I purchase my next new truck.

Until then . . . I do know how to drive the Rocky Mountains . . . !

chrizg

Ended up ordering a new truck. 2016 Dodge Ram Limited, 4.10, rear air, Aisin. Looking forward to that first pull with it.
16ram.jpg