Anyone towing a 3650BH without a DRW 1-ton?

pprice01

This is our #1 setup, but I don't believe a 2014 Ram Megacab 3500 CTD SRW setup will tow this beast safely.

Thanks.

Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danemayer

This is our #1 setup, but I don't believe a 2014 Ram Megacab 3500 CTD SRW setup will tow this beast safely.

Thanks.

Paul

Hi Paul,

Lots of people are towing 15-16,000 lb GVWR trailers with 1 Ton SRW tow vehicles.

You should plan on pin weight being about 20% of the trailer GVWR. Add to that the weight of the hitch, bed liner, bed cover, tools, firewood, pets, passengers and anything else in the truck. The truck needs a payload spec that will carry that much weight.

To understand specifics for a particular truck, you'll need to know the 5th wheel towing capacity and the payload for that truck, as it's equipped.

pprice01

Hi Paul,

Lots of people are towing 15-16,000 lb GVWR trailers with 1 Ton SRW tow vehicles.

You should plan on pin weight being about 20% of the trailer GVWR. Add to that the weight of the hitch, bed liner, bed cover, tools, firewood, pets, passengers and anything else in the truck. The truck needs a payload spec that will carry that much weight.

To understand specifics for a particular truck, you'll need to know the 5th wheel towing capacity and the payload for that truck, as it's equipped.

Thanks Danemeyer.

I've run the numbers, and will post specifics for the truck I'm looking for and the weight of this 5er tomorrow.

Paul.

Lococoin

I tow one with a 2012 f350 diesel. Its rated to tow 15,700 lbs so just over the 15,500 gvwr. Hitch weight loaded up was 17% of the trailer so well inside the 3360 lb payload of the truck with my family in it.

Tows awesome. You can barely feel it back there.

pprice01

Thanks all. For my specific truck:

Max towing is 16,500; so the 15,500 GVWR of this 5er, that puts me at 94% of total available, which seems that it's too close for comfort - thoughts?

Total payload is 4350; against the 3,020 (calc below) = 69% of total payload - so I'm good on this front.

Hitch weight of this 5er is 2,020 + 200 (20% of cargo weight) + 350 (generous amount for my wife and 2 small kids and I believe I am allotted 150 pounds for myself, so I'll add an extra 50 pounds) + another 200 for misc. gear in the truck) + 250 for the hitch = 3,020 total payload.

danemayer

Your actual pin weight will likely be much higher, but it looks like your payload should accommodate.

Towing capacity may be ok, but if you're planning on mountain towing, you might want more margin.

pprice01

Your actual pin weight will likely be much higher, but it looks like your payload should accommodate.

Towing capacity may be ok, but if you're planning on mountain towing, you might want more margin.

Thanks Danemeyer.

Can you help me understand where my calculations are deficient for the pin weight so that I may properly apply it to other models' calculations?

Appreciate the help.

Paul

danemayer

Thanks Danemeyer.

Can you help me understand where my calculations are deficient for the pin weight so that I may properly apply it to other models' calculations?

Appreciate the help.

Paul
Most fifth wheels have a pin weight around 20% of the GVWR. The published pin weight spec is for an empty coach, with no options. In fact, it may even be for a stripped down model that doesn't have what's sometimes called "forced options". So with a GVWR of 15,500, you should use 3,100 as a planning number for pin weight. When you actually measure, you may find it's a bit less, or perhaps a bit more.

Our 16,000 lb 2011 Rushmore has a spec of 2,620. Last weigh-in actual pin weight was 3,700. We have a washer/dryer, Onan 5500 generator and a load of stuff in the basement, all pretty close to the pin. Our actual pin weight is 23% of GVWR.

Yours may not be quite that high, but you should plan on 20%.

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
This site was set up by one of our very own Heartland owners. It will be of great help in your research (Dan's a big help too!!)

pprice01

Most fifth wheels have a pin weight around 20% of the GVWR. The published pin weight spec is for an empty coach, with no options. In fact, it may even be for a stripped down model that doesn't have what's sometimes called "forced options". So with a GVWR of 15,500, you should use 3,100 as a planning number for pin weight. When you actually measure, you may find it's a bit less, or perhaps a bit more.

Our 16,000 lb 2011 Rushmore has a spec of 2,620. Last weigh-in actual pin weight was 3,700. We have a washer/dryer, Onan 5500 generator and a load of stuff in the basement, all pretty close to the pin. Our actual pin weight is 23% of GVWR.

Yours may not be quite that high, but you should plan on 20%.

Thanks danemeyer.

So more realistically about 3,400 pounds once I load the 5er with all our stuff; as 22% of the 15,500 is 3,410 pounds.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
We pulled our BC 3650 with a one ton 2009 Dodge RAm 3500 single rear wheel without any problems. At the NAHOC rally in 2013, we had the rig weighed and the camper weighed out at 14,400 lbs. We now have a heavier Landmark, therefore we have gone to a dually.
DSCN2886.jpg

Pointed in the right direction would be great

I there is a link please post it but I have 2017 3650bh and
I'm wanting to tow our Jeep Patriot behind it would I need to do the obvious
and get a receiver hitch mounted to my trailer or is there some kind of raiding
to do so from the bumper?

- - - Updated - - -

danemayer

Re: Pointed in the right direction would be great

Your RV frame is not made to tow that kind of load and the bumper certainly won't. Lippert warrants the frame and will flatly tell you that if you put a heavy receiver hitch on the frame and have a frame problem they won't cover it.

And in many jurisdictions, a double trailer arrangement may be illegal. In others, you may exceed the maximum legal combined length.

You'll probably be better off with 2 drivers.