Suburban Water Heater Door. What color?

slmayor

Founding California Northern Chapter Leader
Lost the door on our water heater coming home last week. Have tried to order a new one from the dealer, but found out from Surburban the door is only available in a "door-kit". Not too happy, but oh well.
Now the question. What color is on my early 2008 Bighorn? Polar white or colonial white? I have part numbers I can post if anyone else might be interested. We have the Suburban sw12DE water heater.

waccajs

Texian
I have a new "Colonial white" outside stove vent that is brand new from a RV wholesale site and it is a cream color(not what we needed). I would think that the "polar white" would be more of a bright white. I have to order another one, "white" this time. Hope this helps.

slmayor

Yep, that helped. Thanks!
Just a note. Our stove vent started to yellow and we painted it with the new Krylon paint for plastic. Looks great now and the paint is made for outdoor plastics so should last.

nhunter

Spooky, I just installed my freshly Krylon painted stove vent yesterday. Looks much better. Wife told me I am crazy!

Shadowchek

I have been looking at ours and thinking about it. I have a can in the garage and the stove vent is the only yellow thing on the outside. I am going to wax the other half of the Bh tomorrow so I may add that in.

GaryB

Lost the door on our water heater coming home last week. Have tried to order a new one from the dealer, but found out from Surburban the door is only available in a "door-kit". Not too happy, but oh well.
Now the question. What color is on my early 2008 Bighorn? Polar white or colonial white? I have part numbers I can post if anyone else might be interested. We have the Suburban sw12DE water heater.

On only my second trip last week, my water heater door also came flying open while going down the interstate. Luckily I saw it, stopped and closed it before it broke. Is it just me, or does that little folding spring clip seem like an insufficient way to keep that door closed while traveling?

Gary

truknutt

Committed Member
I changed my camlock to a metal version and then stick a hitch pin clip through it. That way if it spins to the open position it still can't open unless the pin disappears.

Another guy I know sticks a tiny suitcase lock through his camlock so it can't be liberated while parked.

Attachments

• Cam Lock.jpg
    Cam Lock.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 6
  • hitchpinclip.jpg
    hitchpinclip.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 6

slmayor

We just put the new door on tonoght and also talked about a suitcase lock. I like the cotter pin idea better as there are no keys to lose. Great ideas!
As an FYI the Suburban part number is 6259APW. Fits the SW 10 and 12 Gal heaters. It's only available as a "kit" incluiding the door frame, so if anyone needs a frame I have a spare one.

snuffy

I have been looking at ours and thinking about it. I have a can in the garage and the stove vent is the only yellow thing on the outside. I am going to wax the other half of the Bh tomorrow so I may add that in.

I did mine last year and it still looks great. Here and some before and after pictures.

IMG_0681.jpg

IMG_0685.jpg

waccajs

Texian
Could you advise if you painted the vent while attached to unit or if you took it off to paint. I know that it would be easier to paint while on the trailer but it would probably do a better job if taken off. Just wondering how hard it is to get it waterproofed again. Thanks

slmayor

Not sure how everyone else painted theirs, but we painted ours while on the trailer, just masked around it carefully and sprayed away after wiping it down. Came out great. Truthfully, it's so far above your head that I'm not sure you'd notice if you did a bad job? :)

snuffy

Could you advise if you painted the vent while attached to unit or if you took it off to paint. I know that it would be easier to paint while on the trailer but it would probably do a better job if taken off. Just wondering how hard it is to get it waterproofed again. Thanks

I just masked about a foot wide area all around with some brown paper and tape and sprayed about 2 coats. It's a job worth doing.

nhunter

My flapper broke inside the vent, so I had to buy another one. I painted it over the winter and switched it out. But like the others said, probably easier on the RV.

Netem

I'm already noticing my door window frame yellowing also. I had to paint the stove vent and the door window frame on the old 5 ver so I guess this is on my list of things to do.