Mud flaps?

Roadventure

My towing rig didn't come with any wheel well flares or mud flaps. It seems like the whole side of the truck gets covered in dirt when it rains. Now that I'll be pulling my rig full time, I started to think about all that rain water hitting the trailer. What, if anything do you all do to cut down on spray up and how it may affect the trailer you are pulling?

Rollin_Free

My towing rig didn't come with any wheel well flares or mud flaps. It seems like the whole side of the truck gets covered in dirt when it rains. Now that I'll be pulling my rig full time, I started to think about all that rain water hitting the trailer. What, if anything do you all do to cut down on spray up and how it may affect the trailer you are pulling?

I purchased Rock Tamer bar flaps that connect to the rear hitch. Haven't gotten them installed yet but they look really good.

Roadventure

Holy moly, I didn't even think about the rock factor... Looking into those. I like the idea of using my bumper hitch since I'm pulling a 5ver.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Enkay Rock Tamers!!! Saves the front of the 5er. Totally evident if you ever drive a muddy USFS road to one of their CG's or drive through road re-construction on the Alaska Hwy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GWRam

I put the Heavy duty mud flaps from RAM on our 3500 DRW they have worked great for us. On the DRW version there are two holes to drill in the flap.
There are 4 pre-marked drill hole options, This gives you the option to install the mudflaps higher or lower depending on the ride level of your truck.
You just drill the two that give you the height you want. Had the rear flaps installed in under 20 minutes.

IronJ

I have some gatorback flaps on my dually...with the brackets, as they are super heavy duty (and nearly 2 ft wide!!)....some of best flaps I have ever used.

I'm still thinking about a rock tamer or similar. ...

My old trailer was black Diamond plate on the front and when I finally sold it, it was pretty dinged up from road debris and such....my road warrior just has some abs plastic under the pin area...and honestly it's probably more tolerant to pebbles than the diamond plate?..

sent from space via an invisible beam from a flying metal dish

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
In Texas, it's the law to have mudflaps on dual rear wheels. Our truck already came with them. Most dealerships put their name on them.
05092776bd6c00fa385712586b2917e0.jpg

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
With the full body paint on the Landmark and with one ding, we decided to added what we call the toothbrush on the back of the truck. Yes it has the standard Ram mud flaps but this has given us extra protection.
20160504_125544_resized.jpg

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
I put the Heavy duty mud flaps from RAM on our 3500 DRW they have worked great for us. On the DRW version there are two holes to drill in the flap.
There are 4 pre-marked drill hole options, This gives you the option to install the mudflaps higher or lower depending on the ride level of your truck.
You just drill the two that give you the height you want. Had the rear flaps installed in under 20 minutes.

You have any pics of the RAM mud flaps? Thinking about OEMs on the new truck.

GregP

We tow with a RAM 2500 that has the factory rear flaps. That keeps down most of the mud etc. I also have a rock guard attached to the tow hitch receiver that I use whenever towing. I learned the hard way that the mud flaps don't stop all of the heavy stuff from being bounced back into the towed trailer. Ten miles of gravel construction on my new TT shredded the front end. Have a BH fifth wheel now, but won't ever tow without the added protection. Also, when I added the rock guard; I moved the flaps out about an inch or two on the mount to make sure that they protected beyond the width of the truck.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
You have any pics of the RAM mud flaps? Thinking about OEMs on the new truck.
Jamie, if nobody posts pictures I will put some here when I get home next week.
I have the OEM and they do a great job.
They hang about one inch above the ground when I am hitched up.
The lower front of my rig stays clean.

Peace
Dave

Sent from my Galaxy S7 Edge using Tapatalk

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Jamie, if nobody posts pictures I will put some here when I get home next week.
I have the OEM and they do a great job.
They hang about one inch above the ground when I am hitched up.
The lower front of my rig stays clean.

Peace
Dave

Sent from my Galaxy S7 Edge using Tapatalk

Thanks Dave. I would appreciate that.

GWRam

Nabo has the standard flaps in front of his toothbrush. These are Heavy Duty flaps.

2e1d167347c52228e969d5f41ca2f0fd.jpg
8183867221fa7dc647dc4acd81d022d9.jpg
637e187478af2ab973b38494faf8a1a1.jpg
cb17bf976eeec0580ba32ba349d7542c.jpg