Intermittent operation of Electric Fireplace

Garypowell

I have a Greystone 36" model F3610G Fireplace in my 3010RE and have enjoyed it since new.

I have experienced intermittent operation over the last 9 months of operation while traveling. It either works like a charm or when I press the "on" button I can hear a "click" the red light goes on but as soon as I remove my finger from the button it turns off. Have not tried to this point to find any rhythm.

Now home I called a local RV fix it place and they agreed if I brought just the heater in they would replace it under extended warranty. They know my extended warranty company and that they provide excellent service. Point being not to bring the whole rig in when the part can be easily transported.

So I removed the fireplace and brought it home to "try it one last time". Now I cannot get it to fail....works like a champ.

What this has set me to thinking is maybe if the voltage is lower at some parks such that the relay does not latch properly. The more Linda and I thought this over it does seem that it might be more a park by park failure rather than day by day in the same park.

Just curious if others have seen this potential "voltage" problem that I am describing. I am not an electronics person but I think it could be valid....and of course if the thing is not broken.....can't expect anyone to fix it.

Thanks in advance,

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Not sure if it's the same thing but ours made heat and didn't make heat then finally quit altogether.
Out of warranty so I tore it apart myself. Turns out one of the spade connections to the heat element was burnt away. I'm assuming the connection was loose from the get go and was arcing eventually burning away.
Repaired to my satisfaction and still working.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danemayer

Gary,

It could be low voltage, but it seems unlikely to me that it would be park pedestal having low voltage, especially in cold weather. Usually voltage drops happen in the summer when everyone's trying to run two air conditioners.

You have other devices in your rig that shut down when voltage drops too low - around 104V AC. The Power Converter will drop out at 104V, although if it's momentary, you might not notice because the battery will keep the 12V systems running. If you have a transfer switch, that will also drop out at 104V. You would notice that because you'll lose all power in the coach.

If you have an Electrical Management System (EMS), you would notice voltage drops because they will also shut down at 104V to protect the coach. If you don't have an EMS, you should get one, especially if you're camping in places with unreliable power.

rxbristol

On three occasions, over the last two years, I've had mine quit putting out heat, but the fan was still running. I believe this is a thermal overload switch. If I turn it off for a couple of minutes and turn it back on, it will continue to work as advertised.

The comments about loose connections is a good item to store in memory.

wdk450

You might try spraying some Caig Cramolyn DeOxIt electrical contact cleaner/restorer into the switch, and exercising the switch. I am leaning towards faulty contacts within the switch.