2015 4200 Rear ramp door

Abest

May rear ramp door anti skip material has split up the middle. it appears there is a seam in the sub flooring that is moving even when it is only walked on. I'm not sure what to do to correct it has anyone experienced this problem and found a good fix?

IronJ

Nope..but I got a 420 that is in the shop now for 4 weeks with a similar issue...split and soft/spongy parts all on the ramp door.....and a discernable bow towards the middle.

I haven't heard back from shop yet but service guy said it would probably need a whole new door..

sent from space via an invisible beam from a flying metal dish

Jim-Lynn

ABEST, take the unit to your dealer. Sounds like the ramp door has delaminated. Mine did the same and was replaced in Nov., patio was replaced in June/15 of same thing. Once your unit is in the shop for a week, follow up with Heartland directly and check on the door. You will get the truth from them. Mine did take 7 weeks to get fixed, my dealer was blaming customs to get the monster ramp cleared and shipped. I know this does not help at this time of the year, but once the door is approved to replace, take your unit back, use it, and when the door comes in you then take it back to them.

Good luck & if you have any issues - call Heartland, they are great.

Jim

Jim-Lynn

I would not wait, as mine is also a 2015 and I believe they have 2 years, & I sure would not want to pay for that size of a door.

Good Luck

Jim

Abest

I have contacted heartland. They say they are unaware of any issues with the doors (shocking) but they will forward any pictures I send them to Lippert for consideration. There is only a one year warranty on the doors and my unit will be 2 years old June 23rd. Was your trailer less than a year old when your doors were replaced?

danemayer

I can only recall a few posts about ramp door problems over the past few years, and most, if not all, were due to water intrusion. Has it been inspected by a dealer tech?

oscar

There have been a few threads on door failure and yes, they were due to water intrusion. Whether it's a design or execution issue is not known at this time. I'll let you know when mine falls off and I do the autopsy. I will tell you that I am very hesitant to leave the door down in patio mode if there is a chance of rain as I see no evidence of waterproofing the inside of the door. Hopefully the door will not be in too much danger in the closed mode. Fingers crossed as I do increasingly into my ownership.

I also know that the helper springs are made of totally inferior steel as three of mine have broken in half and no, I did not abuse them.

Jim-Lynn

I have contacted heartland. They say they are unaware of any issues with the doors (shocking) but they will forward any pictures I send them to Lippert for consideration. There is only a one year warranty on the doors and my unit will be 2 years old June 23rd. Was your trailer less than a year old when your doors were replaced?

We got ours in late Sept./14. In June of '15 we had the side patio replaced as it went mushy. At the end of August 2015, when we returned from a western trip, we called our dealer as the rear ramp door seemed to have the same issue as our patio did. We were told by our dealer the ramp door is structural and has a two year warranty. We sent lots of pictures and it was approved to replace. We dropped of the trailer in mid Oct. and it eventually got replaced. Took a few months, but we were done camping for the season. So I guess to answer you question, we were right around one year from delivery, or just over.

Don't give up - if need be ask them if you can take it to them to see.

Best of luck.

Jim-Lynn

With the same thing? Or a better design.....?
It is a little different design. Looks the same, but I was told the some did not have the proper weld in the framing and the water got in. We are good to go now.
jim

ray587

My ramp door is failing also. Contacted Lippert and they sent me the latest and greatest new ramp door. Looks just like my old one. No difference at all. DO NOT leave these doors open in rain!

avvidclif

My ramp door is failing also. Contacted Lippert and they sent me the latest and greatest new ramp door. Looks just like my old one. No difference at all. DO NOT leave these doors open in rain!

Who did you work with, Heartland or Lippert? I have a soft spot where the decking is up and you can feel it when walking on it. It's out of warranty.

IronJ

did lippert say this? or your just saying it because that is how yours failed??..

mine is in the shop now with a real soft and bowed ramp door......hopfully they resolve the issue ... the last person I talked to was trying too tell me that the flex and soft spots are normal and happen on all the ramps...yet my side patio door is solid as a rock??...I really don't wanna fight to get this fixed...

so its ruined if it rains and its in patio mode??..

oscar

It is a little different design. Looks the same, but I was told the some did not have the proper weld in the framing and the water got in. We are good to go now.
jim

Hmmm, the welding caused the water intrusion? Ready to learn here......

Abest

Ever since my patio started getting soft I put a tarp over it which looked like you know what. last fall I bought a sheet of rubber roofing material and installed snaps on it and around the perimeter of the deck. I leave it snapped on all the times so I can leave the patio down and is does not get very wet. I bought a patio mat and put it on top of the rubber roofing. it all stays in place when folded up.

Rhyph

So far both of our doors have been ok. Only the side door has been caught out in the rain, but we had our awnings out so it didn't take a lot of direct water contact. Our rear door has not had rain exposure yet but we have washed it and not seen any I'll effects, although we did a pretty good job chasing the water off and the sun took care of anything residual pretty quickly.

Jim-Lynn

Hmmm, the welding caused the water intrusion? Ready to learn here......

Oscar;
How it was explained to me, the outer frame welding was not even, and when the face of the door OR patio went on, it dos not seal properly, and also my original patio & the ramp door were not sealed where the black anti skid meets the framing. Both patio and rear door now have a calking completely around it. We do not leave open in the rain either -

Jim

oscar

my original patio & the ramp door were not sealed where the black anti skid meets the framing

THIS is the problem and the reason I don't let mine get wet. Properly sealing it would require quite a bit of disassembly.