Wilderness 2750RL tongue weight

Ssthrd

I notice that the dry weight on a 2013 Wilderness 2750RL is 5350 lbs and the tongue weight is given as 475 lbs. Is this correct?
I also note that the spread between the trailer axles is noticeably wider than what is usual. Does this fact have an effect on the tongue weight?

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Axle wider spread should not effect tongue weight. Axle spacing from the hitch to the axles will. Your empty weight is really a non-starter unless you will travel with nothing in the trailer. Load the trailer for travel and see how it pulls. Not knowing where the fresh water tank is...a full tank could effect the tongue weight.

Ssthrd

Thanks for your reply. Good advice for sure. I would not be curious so much if I did not have the need to carry a Honda Ruckus on the rear bumper for my upcoming long haul (15,000 miles). I guess the guidelines have not changed for tongue loading in spite of the wider spread. Makes sense that a full water tank might even things up. Not sure where the tank is either.

I just find it odd that the trailer would not have more tongue weight built into it. Strange that Heartland will not return my emails. I'm a bit disappointed about that. Not so good customer service.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I believe that the wider spacing between the wheels helps with trailer sway.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Instead of sending e-mails....call HL service and ask them. Have your VIN# handy. Tongue weight will be gained by adding weight in the front of the trailer before the axles. Than you have to consider the weight of the "ruckus" which will remove some tongue weight. Think of your trailer as a "tetter totter" (sp). Your fresh water tank could be centered over the axles and that would be good. When you call HL...ask where the fresh tank is. BTW, full or near full holding tanks will make a difference as to weight distribution.

Ssthrd

Thanks, Bob. The reason I posted here is because Heartland would not return my emails, and when I called, I got the run-around a bit. Seems like they can't answer a generic engineering question about their design which is common to all 2750RL's without the VIN# of a specific trailer. No big deal, but just a bit frustrating.

They did-finally-return my emails. Maybe they are just busy, huh.

FYI, I have towed trailers of all different sizes for maybe 20,000 miles or so, so I guess I'm not really a rookie. I always understood the need for proper weight distribution, but never really thought much about the ratio since seeing the specs on the 2750RL. I was/am just curious about what the effect of a wider spread would be (other than sway) on weight distribution. Looks like the answer is---that particular design is what it is, and I will adjust my load accordingly to get to 12% tongue weight, or whatever is most comfortable on the road.

Thanks for your patience and advice, Bob.