2016 Prowler 285 LX

jloveland

Just picked up my new Prowler 285 LX and am very excited to use it. Anyone have some experience with this trailer?

jimtoo

Just picked up my new Prowler 285 LX and am very excited to use it. Anyone have some experience with this trailer?

Hi jloveland,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

Be sure and check out our Heartland Owners Club. Join us at a rally when you can and meet lots of the great folks here and make friends for a lifetime.

Enjoy the forum and your new unit.

Jim M

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
We have a Prowler P292 5th-wheeler and love it!

Bought it one year ago this month and will be going to a Colorado Heartland Owner's Club Rally next weekend.

Let us know how you like your new Prowler . . . and show us some photos of it in action!

jloveland

20160507_182529_resized.jpg

Here it is in use..

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
No picture in your post.
You will need three posts before you can post a pic.

Peace
Dave

jloveland

20160507_182529_resized.jpg20160507_184735_resized.jpgFB_IMG_1462201471827.jpgFB_IMG_1462201484425.jpgFB_IMG_1462201477390.jpgFB_IMG_1462196726525.jpg

First 5 pictures are of the camper, the last one is of my backyard with random moose...

Camper is pretty awesome for the first weekend out. My old one had no electric jack or awning, very nice feature on the new one..

Kinguni

We have a 2016 285LX purchased new in June last year. A little big for mostly the 2 of us plus dog, but space for kids and grandkids and so much room! Watch for fit and finish items. We needed doors adjusted, trim reattached, gutter seam sealing (which still drips right over the main door when it rains) and the biggy - dinette top padded piece next to the couch wasn't attached right and our dealer had to take it apart and rebuild it. Nice thing in the new ones is that the thermostat was relocated from the top bunk to the bedroom. Wish ours was that way. Also noticed a lot of water ending up in the bottom of the fridge. Turned out the dealer hadn't removed the wrapping from the drain hose AND the was a screw in the drain! Just things to watch out for.

jloveland

Does anyone else pay roughly $60-$70 per night for full hookup campsites like we do here in New Hampshire? Granted the National Forest here is $45 for full hookup... It seems like the price level up here wouldn't make sense for other people who don't have 4 kids like i do.. Cost of gas at 8 miles per gallon towing a camper and then $60-$70 per night would make me think getting a nice hotel room would make more sense. Thoughts??

-

danemayer

Does anyone else pay roughly $60-$70 per night for full hookup campsites like we do here in New Hampshire? Granted the National Forest here is $45 for full hookup... It seems like the price level up here wouldn't make sense for other people who don't have 4 kids like i do.. Cost of gas at 8 miles per gallon towing a camper and then $60-$70 per night would make me think getting a nice hotel room would make more sense. Thoughts??

-
You know that New Hampshire slogan, "Live Free or Die"? They were just kidding about the free part. :p

I've heard people compare hotel costs to cost of RV'ing. But the ones who pick hotels might have been lukewarm about RV'ing in the first place. We lived in our RV for 16 months while in between houses, and apart from that have generally been 1/2 time in the RV for nearly 6 years. The longest I've ever stayed in a hotel was 10 weeks, and that was a high end hotel at the company's expense. It was a long 10 weeks. To me, hotels are a sorry second.

jloveland

Dan, that's awesome in regards to living in the RV for 16 months!! Our retirement plan 30 years from now will be to take 2 years and travel the country in an RV or Motorhome. We really love camping and with 4 kids 6 and under it's a great way to get our family doing outdoor activities without having to drive home everyday. We've already planned most of our summer weekends at different campgrounds in both Maine and New Hampshire. I would like to take the family out to Yellowstone next summer, take a month off from work. Are camping rates less expensive out in the midwest compared to the not so inexpensive campgrounds around where i live?

danemayer

Are camping rates less expensive out in the midwest compared to the not so inexpensive campgrounds around where i live?

When we travel, rates have generally been between $35 and $50 / night. There are less expensive places, but they often are less attractive. I find KOAs to be high-priced for what they offer; but then again, some provide facilities for younger children, so for you that might make more sense than for us.

At busy parks in or near Yellowstone, the Grand Canyon, and Mount Rushmore, you may find prices are higher and that reservations need to be made way in advance. Same thing at many Colorado campgrounds and resorts.

A lot of people stay at Corps of Engineer Parks (COE). Some have full hookups and some don't. Some may take reservations and some are first come, first served. But I think the prices are much lower. State parks often are beautiful and reasonably priced. Colorado has some great ones. Texas has quite a few as well, although because they were mostly built in the 1930s, it can be iffy getting a 40' trailer into many of those sites.

jloveland

When we travel, rates have generally been between $35 and $50 / night. There are less expensive places, but they often are less attractive. I find KOAs to be high-priced for what they offer; but then again, some provide facilities for younger children, so for you that might make more sense than for us.

At busy parks in or near Yellowstone, the Grand Canyon, and Mount Rushmore, you may find prices are higher and that reservations need to be made way in advance. Same thing at many Colorado campgrounds and resorts.

A lot of people stay at Corps of Engineer Parks (COE). Some have full hookups and some don't. Some may take reservations and some are first come, first served. But I think the prices are much lower. State parks often are beautiful and reasonably priced. Colorado has some great ones. Texas has quite a few as well, although because they were mostly built in the 1930s, it can be iffy getting a 40' trailer into many of those sites.

Dan,

Thank you very much for the feedback!! Have a great summer and if anyone on here is in New Hampshire this summer let me know!!

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
To me, hotels are a sorry second.

Not to mention that at my age I don't look as good as I used to laying around by the pool . . . :p

We figured that our 2015 Prowler costs us less per year than a week for two at Disney World.

As for KOA's . . . while they tend to be higher priced than many other campgrounds, they always have good and functional hookups.

Where a lot of no-name mom and pop campgrounds are often not so nice or are mobile home parks with a couple of not-so-functional RV spots.