Tailgate optional?

Roadventure

Our TV came with a damaged tailgate. It opens and closes etc. Before we set out full time we were considering ditching it in our storage unit and driving without until we can work a louvered tailgate into the equation. Is this illegal to do? Is there a way around it with a tailgate net? My guess is that it would vary based on state.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rxbristol

I would miss the tailgate on my truck because of everything I stash and haul in it, especially as a full timer. I also have a tonneau cover that hides our stuff when not hooked up.

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
I would think that a tailgate is needed only if you have stuff in the bed. Plenty of pickups around here running around without one.

Sent from my PU-36 Explosive Space Modulator.

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
I don't know about all "State" laws, but all the many states I have lived in....there were no laws requiring a "Tail Gate" for a pick up...
Aesthetically...it sure looks better with some kind of a tail gate in my opinion...

mlpeloquin

I don't know the laws in every state, but if it is empty or everything is secured, what is the difference between a pickup without a tailgate and a flat bed truck?