2012 F-350 6.7 SB towing help

Tundra2084

Ok I'm sure someone can tell me what we can tow with this truck..at least I hope so.

2012 F-350 SD with 6.7 diesel engine
Short-Bed
4X4
Crew Cab
and here's the kicker it has the 3.73 axle
We purchased this truck for towing our fifth wheel and never had to worry about the weight because our unit was well under the weights for this truck.
Now we have a new Bayhill that the GVWR is 15,500 and looking at the original weight for the truck we will be right at the limits.

Looking at verious websites for towing guides they DO NOT show the weights for our truck combination of diesel engine, Short-Bed, crewcab, 4x4 with a 373 axle with tow haul.

Help would be greatly appreciated.

IronJ

The pin weight /payload is usually the weak link...check your door sticker for cargo cap. If I recall correctly you should have a 26k lb gcvwr and prob 11,5k gvwr for your truck ...but that trailer loaded up will prob have a 3k + pin weight...

The truck will pull it fine, but if your a numbers guy, it's gonna be close

sent from space via an invisible beam from a flying metal dish

brianlajoie

I've got the 3.55 axle and I'm already close to the max with my 3010RE BH. The fuel tank being on the drivers side causes concern for me since I'm close on the weight.

I'm under weight, but I'm going to G load tires and I put in the Air Lift 5000 Ultimate to help out. You will definitely want to weigh each tire position.

dbbls59

I thought 3.73 axles were only available in the dually. You might want to check the axle ratio again. I think pin weight will be the limiting factor.

Tundra2084

We have run the vin# on verious sites and they all come back as the axle being a 3.73. The truck was ordered by the previous owner with options and color he wanted. Example, only the drivers seat is electric but it's leather interior usually found in the lariat. All power windows and locks etc but listed as a XL on some sites. The color is a copper bronze matalic as ordered special. So in other words ,,we don't know exactly what this truck is listed as other than a F350 SRW 4x4 lol.

justafordguy

Not sure what the factory numbers are but I do know that truck will pull a 15.5k gvwr 5er with no problems what so ever. Get good 3750lb + capacity tires and you will be good to go.

Lococoin

I didn't think you could get a 3.73 axle unless it was a fleet C&C order.
Agreed. No way it has 3.73 gears unless someone put them in afterwards. The SRW was only available with 3.31 or 3.55. I have the 3.55 in my 2012 and its rated at 15,700 lbs. It tows my 15,500 lb gateway with ease and is within the allowable ratings when checked on a scale.

Lococoin

Try looking for the axle code as per the instructions in the picture attached.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1462914452913.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1462914452913.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 34

Tundra2084

Thank you for the help. As per the picture Lococoin posted it's confirmed that we do indeed have the 3.55. The axle code in the door is 3J and looking at the picture it indeed is the 3.55. Trailer life confirms that we do have ,15,700 tow rating.

Thanks again for the help and advice. Being a person who likes more than needed as apposed to not having enough, it does ease my fears that we don't have enough truck. As long as WE keep the loading under control and not take to many extras we will be fine. Unloaded weight of the unit is less than 12,500lbs and to be honest if we load over 3200 lbs in the unit we have some serious issues lol

Dawn