Does the Edge M22 maintain their value?

MEDEL514

So I've really taken a liking to the Edge M22, but I've also noticed that the campers are priced a bit higher than others in the same category for size and weight. I've been looking at used models, 2010-2013 M22's, priced for anywhere between $16k-$20k, which seems rather high for a used camper. Do these campers hold their value very well? Why do they seem to be thousands more than some of their competitors? My only concern is that if I buy a 5 year old camper, and own it for 5 more years, will I loose $10k in depreciation when they're only valued at $5k? Are they worth the investment? This is my family's first camper, so I'm rather new to RV'ing.

danemayer

Hi Medel514,

There are a lot of factors that go into resale values including how it's equipped, how much wear and tear is on the unit, how it was maintained, how many similar RVs are on the market, the general state of the economy, how current the feature set appears to be to a buyer. Demand for the type of trailer. The list goes on.

As with cars and trucks, depreciation is a larger factor in the early years. So you'd be past that if you buy a 5 year old trailer.

GOTTOYS

Haven't seen any RV that holds its' value. Often used units are priced high because the sellers paid too much to start with. If you do some hard dealing on a new one you can usually get it for 35% off. Forget about the NADA values they are totally off base. Shop what you want on the internet and see what they are really selling for. As a pure investment, there aren't many things you will lose more money on. If you enjoy using it, how do you put a price tag on that..Don

MEDEL514

Yes that's what I've been looking at, the NADA for a 2011 M22 is $17k, most of the units listed on RVTrader or other sites are anywhere from $16k-19k. I thought these prices were a tad high for a 5 year old model, but the MSRP on these was about $30k new! Expensive little bugger!

avvidclif

The only way an RV is considered an investment is in the enjoyment you get from using it. Moneywise it's a loss.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
One thing I have found is.....HL trailers seem to bring better money (hold their value) than some SOB's. Used trailers seem to be soft in the market right now. Start low and you can always come up in price but you can't ever go down. Discontinued models might bring more money.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
We looked at it a much different way . . .

Our new trailer cost us less per year than a one week Disney vacation for two . . .