Air Tailgate

teasac69

Where can you find a good selection of the air/vented type tailgates to replace the stock one?? I want to keep my camera in use and want one I can lock in place.

teasac69

Where can you find a good selection of the air/vented type tailgates to replace the stock one?? I want to keep my camera in use and want one I can lock in place.

So permit me to change this thread to another question........ what type of fifth wheel tailgate do you have, what do you LIKE about it and what do you DISLIKE about it? seems the highest quality ones are Huskyliner and Stromburg/carlson??? are there others and what's good about yours?

maybe even add another question to this chase, why don't you use a fifth wheel tailgate? security, looks, cost? etc

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I've been looking at one at Camping World.

They have one on display but don't stock them, so you have to order one if you want it from them.

I was told it only takes two or three day to get them in when ordered.

I will be getting the one with the tail gate lock as there has been a rash of tail gates being stolen for auto parts around here (saw a story on the news).

jimtoo

Check out Tweety's. Good customer service and prices. Usually much less expensive than CW.

Also you can put a good hose clamp around the end of the tailgate that is split to make the installation or removal easy. This will prevent the tailgate from being just opened and jerked off. The gate will still work normally,, but cannot be removed without a good screwdriver and a few minutes time.

Jim M

pegmikef

I just replaced my OEM Ford Tailgate with a Custom Flow fifth wheel tailgate. I like it because it looks nice, is lockable, and is light weight. I had the camera mounted below the tailgate, above the license plate so it works with the tailgate up or down. Custom flow also has an accessory skirt that fits over the opening in case you have a cover and want to secure the contents of your bed.

custom-flow-3.jpg

A word of warning. Just because you have a fifth wheel tailgate doesn't mean you don't have to raise your pin to fit over the opening. Don't ask me how I know.

avvidclif

If you really have to know I'll post a picture. Mine got it both ways, unhooking and hooking up. The second time sorta straightened out the first and didn't hurt near as bad....

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
So permit me to change this thread to another question........ what type of fifth wheel tailgate do you have,

maybe even add another question to this chase, why don't you use a fifth wheel tailgate? security, looks, cost? etc

None...I run with a $60 cargo net tailgate. I removed the stock tailgate for several reasons: when down there is limited space between it and the front of our coach, it's heavy trying to shut with one hand, and mostly if I screw up I'm only out $60 not a thousand!
Yes I have a tonneau cover and no my bed is not secure and if someone wants my wooden blocks I guess I can make some more !!

Hansel

I just installed a Handy 5th wheel gate, and LOVE IT!!!!

It's made in the USA, it's very well constructed and it was under $300 from Amazon.

Attachments

• 5th wheel gate.jpg
    5th wheel gate.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 25