Space under steps for shoes?

Has anyone converted the space under the bottom step (going up to the bedroom) for storage or for a shoe cubby? The second step has a drawer and the first step is just empty space. We really need a place to put our shoes when we come inside.
I can't see any reason why we couldn't do something to make that space usable. Just don't want it to look "funky".

Lococoin

This is what my buddy did. Just zip tied in that area. Looks good!

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1462928884505.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1462928884505.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 404

danemayer

Some rigs come with 2 drawers, so in general it should be possible.

If you remove the existing drawer, you may be able to see whether there are any obstructions that would prevent you from adding a 2nd drawer. I wouldn't be surprised if you have to add some framing for the rails.

Some rigs come with 2 drawers, so in general it should be possible.

If you remove the existing drawer, you may be able to see whether there are any obstructions that would prevent you from adding a 2nd drawer. I wouldn't be surprised if you have to add some framing for the rails.

I really don't want a drawer. What I want is to open the front so that I have an open space to put one or two pairs of shoes out of the way when we come into the RV. We don't wear our shoes inside and right now we just kick them off under the dining room chairs.

danemayer

Similar issues. The riser would have to be removed and you'd have to build the storage bin. Probably would need to put in supports on each side and screw it to the supports. The storage bin could also provide support for the step above.

But you might want to think about how to keep it from being a trip hazard when going upstairs.

Bones

IMG_20151115_102757.jpg
Here is a view of the bottom step of a Gateway 3650BH. This view is from behind. I'm not saying it can't be done but you will have to do a lot of work in a small space to make it usable.

IMG_20151115_101150.jpg
Just another angle view from behind the step. You can see here there is quite a drop from where the step sits and the bottom floor in the basement area. Yours could be different you would have to look.

EPaulikonis

I just did this last week. I used dremel to cut the luan out. I used existing frame for stair as is. I placed a piece of plywood on the back side under the drawer through basement access. I then cut pre-finished stair nose to frame the opening. Wife is adding a rubber catch pan to the space to catch water or debris from shoes. Not huge, but useable space now.

Has anyone converted the space under the bottom step (going up to the bedroom) for storage or for a shoe cubby? The second step has a drawer and the first step is just empty space. We really need a place to put our shoes when we come inside.
I can't see any reason why we couldn't do something to make that space usable. Just don't want it to look "funky".

Sounds great Eric. Hubby wants to think about this before cutting something we can't replace. We did take out the drawer and take pictures of what is under the first step and it looks like it's just empty space.
Can you post a picture of your completed project?
Thanks so much.

EPaulikonis

First pic is straight on with finished look. This will help set the reference. Opening is big enough for sandals and tennis shoes. Not going to try fitting a pair of boots in there, but it does work for what we wanted...get the regular shoes we wear out of the doorway. I drilled a hole through the luan and then used a keyhole saw to cut out the opening. My Dremel battery was toast, so I had to revert to the manual saw.

IMG_0332.JPG
Now the camera is going into the open space in the photo on the bottom stair. You'll see the original stair framing. All I did was add a piece of plywood behind the framing to block off the bottom stair. I did this from inside the basement. Drill pilot holes for nails or screws. Stair framing is rock solid.

IMG_0333.jpg
Continue in with the camera on the next image and pan upwards. You can see the drawer bottom and how the framing along with the new plywood completely block in the space when the drawer is closed. Now all we need to do is put a rubber pan in place to catch water and debris.

IMG_0330.jpg
Final photo was taken by removing the drawer on 2d stair. I was trying to show how easy it was to simply scab in a piece of unfinished plywood to the frame from the basement side. You never even come close to seeing it, even when you enter the rig and it's more at eye level.

IMG_0326.jpg

Westwind

Looks great! My only recommendation is that make sure the opening is not open into the underbelly, we had a mouse problem this year and they were accessing the trailer through the drawer from the underbelly. I boxed in the whole stair case from the compartment side with plywood and caulked all around the edges to make sure no mice could get into the trailer through that passage, but I have a few other places to tighten up.

EPaulikonis

I hear rodent proofing the rig is an ongoing battle from many FT. Guess that's a price we pay for getting closer to nature...sometimes it wants to be inside too.

Looks great! My only recommendation is that make sure the opening is not open into the underbelly, we had a mouse problem this year and they were accessing the trailer through the drawer from the underbelly. I boxed in the whole stair case from the compartment side with plywood and caulked all around the edges to make sure no mice could get into the trailer through that passage, but I have a few other places to tighten up.

Westwind

We weren't able to use our AC in Florida for about 6 weeks or more this winter due to a dead mouse or mouse pee, anytime we turned on the AC the odor was so strong we had to shut it down and air the trailer out. I had caught 2 mice before we left RI for Florida caught another when we got to Florida and found a dead one on top of the kitchen cabinet while there.
I have some work to do on the underbelly, slight Chloroplast openings, the slideout hydraulic openings in the frame, and openings for wires hydraulic hoses and the hose/wire drain openings for the washer in the front part of the trailer. Like you said an ongoing project. I'm also going to add those electronic devices along with any other thing I can think of.

retskc

First pic is straight on with finished look. This will help set the reference. Opening is big enough for sandals and tennis shoes. Not going to try fitting a pair of boots in there, but it does work for what we wanted...get the regular shoes we wear out of the doorway. I drilled a hole through the luan and then used a keyhole saw to cut out the opening. My Dremel battery was toast, so I had to revert to the manual saw.

View attachment 44993
Now the camera is going into the open space in the photo on the bottom stair. You'll see the original stair framing. All I did was add a piece of plywood behind the framing to block off the bottom stair. I did this from inside the basement. Drill pilot holes for nails or screws. Stair framing is rock solid.

View attachment 44994
Continue in with the camera on the next image and pan upwards. You can see the drawer bottom and how the framing along with the new plywood completely block in the space when the drawer is closed. Now all we need to do is put a rubber pan in place to catch water and debris.

View attachment 44995
Final photo was taken by removing the drawer on 2d stair. I was trying to show how easy it was to simply scab in a piece of unfinished plywood to the frame from the basement side. You never even come close to seeing it, even when you enter the rig and it's more at eye level.

View attachment 44996

Thanks so much for sending the pictures....I just now checked the site and saw them. Hubby says thanks too...think he'll try it.
Carol

_OZ_

I want to do this in my trailer too. I want remove the drawer so I can see what is back there. How do I release the drawer catch so that I remove the drawer and see what is back there.

kab449

I want to do this in my trailer too. I want remove the drawer so I can see what is back there. How do I release the drawer catch so that I remove the drawer and see what is back there.
Open the drawer and look at the drawer slides. On the sides there are small black plastic levers that appear at full extension. One side moves up and the other moves down. Slide them completely and pull the drawer. Its that simple.