Tow with short bed - still not a believer

Dmaxcc6spd

I really like the Heartland products, especially the Big Country 3490 RB and 3490 BHS. Everyone says a slider hitch is not needed. Prove it!!!! Post some pictures and videos so I could sleep better!!! I will be using a short bed GM truck to pull this trailer.

I'm just skeptical.

Thanks!!!

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
We do not haave a Big Country, but we do have a Big Horn 3400RL. It gets pulled by a 07 Sierra Classic CC short bed. No problems without a slider. I also have a Trail-Air pin box. I'm a believer. We love it and Sunday we head for Branson.
Dave

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Dmax, become a believer. I have a short bed Chevy and can jack knife it and nothing bad happens. I dont know what the percentage's are but I am willing to bet 60 percent of the people on the forum have a short bed. 1 tons you dont have a choice of short or long. Bob:D

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
This is a picture of my previous truck. Chevy short bed ext cab. I bought a Jayco 5th wheel in late 2004 and the dealer suggested I didn't need the slider. I bought it anyway. In August 06 I picked up our Bighorn 3400RL. I headed down the road and was very dissapointed at the ride and bucking caused by some concrete roads. The dealer said get rid of the slider. I did and there was an amazing difference in the ride and I never, even with the Jayco, Needed the slider. I now have a 3500 long bed only because I needed the extra weight capacity.

Attachments

• Our Worldly Possessions.JPG
    Our Worldly Possessions.JPG
    113.2 KB · Views: 61
  • The Rig.JPG
    The Rig.JPG
    96.8 KB · Views: 71
  • 107-0731_IMG.JPG
    107-0731_IMG.JPG
    333.9 KB · Views: 60

pmmjarrett

Not just tired..... RETIRED!!!
This pic is straight off the Heartland website. I drew the line on it in Photoshop to show where the fifth wheel pin is. Even though the pic was not taken dead on the pin, it was close enough to see the pin is forward of the rear axle centerline a couple inches as it should be. How much more proof do you need.

09_BH_TurnRadiusBlank.jpg

1 tons you dont have a choice of short or long. Bob:D

Yes you do in Ford and Dodge. Just unfortunatly not available with GM

My 2000 F350 Crew cab was a dually short bed

Shortbed is available on........

- Dodge 3500 quad cab SRW
- Dodge 3500 megacab SRW and DRW in fact no longbed is available for the megacab
- Ford F-350 Supercab SRW
- Ford F-350 Crew Cab SWR and DRW

Terry H

Past Texas North Chapter Leader/Moderator
Staff member
88 Degree Turning Radius

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum!

Do a search on the forum for "sliding hitch needed" or other similar terms, and you will find other threads that more than likely answer you questions.
Also take a look at this video from the Heartland RV Web site.

http://www.heartlandrvs.com/media/videos/video.html?file=video.html&video=turning_radius

Also visit the Heartland RV Web site, there is a wealth of information there.

We have an 09 3490BHS towing with a 07 GMC ex cab (classic) Short Box Duramax, I have a slider hitch, however I have had no reason yet to slide the hitch, and we have done 4 trips with this new Big Country I had the slider hitch installed when I owned my 05 Prowler 2952BHS and I did have to use the slider hitch to back in tight spots, but as of yet I have not had to move the hitch Back :) for the 3490BHS.

nhunter

I have a 3600RL and pull with a 06 F-350 short box. I too didn't believe the dealer or Heartland and bought a slider. Guess what, never had to use it and wishing I had a regular hitch for space saving.

Dmaxcc6spd

Thanks for the prompt feedback - information from the real world - not just the manufacturer.

Big thanks to Terry H for the link to the video - that is exactly what I was looking for!

So just how far forward of the rear axle can the pin be and maintain an 88 degree turn?

Oldlthrneck

Just an Old Jarhead
I pull a Bighorn with a GMC Ext Cab Short Bed. I have a slider that I needed almost everytime I parked the Coachmen that I had. I bought the Bighorn last September. We are full timing and never once have I had to use the slider. I didn't believe it either. But am now looking at buying a non slider to improve the ride. I want to get rid of some of the chucking that is caused by the play in the slider. I can't imagine a scenario where I would ever need the slider.
Fred

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
Well I'll add my 2-cents also.
We had a Bighorn 3500RL and we towed it with our Chevy 2500 HD Duramax/Allison shortbed. Although we do have a slider hitch we have never,never used it. We now own a Landmark August and the same holds true, never have used the slider. I'm not even sure if I remember how the slider mechanism works LOL.

Mark

mountainlovers76

Mississippi Chapter Leaders
Same here. I have a '08 GMC Sierra 2500HD short bed. Have a slider but have not used it. Made a very sharp jack knife turn backing it up in my yard the day we brought it home and never came close to touching the cab. Love my Bighorn.

Shadowchek

I have a slider hitch for sale I am going to a non slider to get rid of some of the movement caused by the slider. No need for a slider with the Big Horn.

PUG

Pug
D Max with short bed

I have an 02 extended cab duramax with 6 ft bed. I bought a Cyclone 3950 that is actually close to 42 ft long about 3 months ago and had the same concerns. The cyclone has rounded front corners that allow the pickup to get up to about 85 degrees which "I have done" and did not hit. With any pickup, even with a super slider, if you turn past 90 you are eventually going to hit the cab but the likelyhood of you turning that tight are zippo. I am a retired truck driver and can back the cyclone anywhere I want with a worry. I had it in a tight spot last weekend and cranked around pretty tight but no problem. I have a Reese 20K non slide.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Thanks for the prompt feedback - information from the real world - not just the manufacturer.

Big thanks to Terry H for the link to the video - that is exactly what I was looking for!

So just how far forward of the rear axle can the pin be and maintain an 88 degree turn?
If you haven't had your hitch installed yet, there isn't much room for changing it's placement. Hitches come with specific instructions for location of the mounting brackets and such. I think they end up pretty close to an inch or two forward of the center of the axle. I mounted my rails as the instructions read.

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
dmax, i have a short bed and if u get an awesome automatic slider like i did u will be happy i assure u. go to www.pullrite.com and take a look at their slider. camping world installed it and i wouldnt know if i use it because its automatic and works also if going forward if u cut a corner to much. just IMHO. but i aint an expert like all these other folks just a rookie happy to have the auto slider.

rjr6150

I would have to agree with Larryheadhunter as you will note in my signature all auto and don't worry about it.

jnbhobe

I have to agree also.I use a superglide hitch and you yust don't have to worry about it.:)

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
Wow thanks Patti and Randy for your support. It's not often anyone agrees with me when it comes to RVing. As a rookie, having that auto slider has been a godsend, as many times I have noted, after I pull in to a park, I can tell the auto slider had been utilized. Even if you only use it one time its worth it, especially making U turns when I am lost, which is often. Those GPS units are wrong quite a bit.

bpmills

I was only going to get an 08 Dodge mega cab, so I went with the Bighorn so I would not need a slider hitch. At the last minute the dealership changed their mind and installed a slider on them. Have not used it once.
Burt