2016 Ford Super Duty Hill Descent Control???

rjr6150

Trying to decide between 16 or order. 17. Anyone have experience with the Hil Descent Control. As I understand it automatically applies the brakes during descent.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

chaplady

Yes that's a true statement on inclines it helps stop the truck from rolling back. One you apply a little fuel peddle you can feel it release. I purchased a 16 drw ford about 3weeks ago

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry mis read the tow haul mode and the exhaust brake help during desent. You apply braking the tow haul mode drops trans down gear,the exhaust brake kicks in over 2000 rpm from what dealer said. The other I mentioned helps when stopped on incline

IronJ

I have the hdc on my srw...have used it exactly ZERO times, including a lil off reading in moab....

Now the trailer hold on a hill feature while using the tow/haul...LOVE

The 17 supers are significantly upgraded/updated than. The 16. Aluminum body, way strengthened frame, cams everywhere etc....

I'm definantly interested in upgrading mine when the first year is done and the 18s hit the lot!

sent from space via an invisible beam from a flying metal dish

CDN

B and B
I took delivery of my 2016 SD F 350 2 weeks ago. I have FX4 with Hill Decent control. I have 1200 km on the truck and have not even tried it yet. I did have a 2015 F250 the dealer bought back and the Tow Haul mode/Exhaust brake stopped the trailer with no problem at all.

OP. Your sig says Diesel not Gas.

BC

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
My 2015 Chevy 2500HD gasser has it.

It pumps the brakes ever so slightly when going down a steep hill in tow mode.

It is an OK feature, but I'm not sure I'm sold on it.

porthole

Retired
From the owners guide (Hill Descent is designed for off roading, not going down hills pulling your trailer.

Driving

WARNING: Hill descent control cannot control descent in all
surface conditions and circumstances, such as ice or extremelysteep grades. Hill descent control is a driver assist system and cannotsubstitute for good judgment by the driver. Failure to do so may resultin loss of vehicle control, crash or serious injury.

Hill descent control can maintain vehicle speeds on downhill gradesbetween 2 mph (3 km/h) and 12 mph (20 km/h). Above 20 mph
(32 km/h), the system remains armed, but descent speed cannot be setor maintained.

Hill descent control requires a cooling down interval after a period ofsustained use. The amount of time that the feature can remain activebefore cooling varies with conditions. The system will provide a warningin the message center and a chime will sound when the system is aboutto disengage for cooling. At this time, manually apply the brakes asneeded to maintain descent speed.

Enabling hill descent control and setting the descent speed

1. Press and release the hill descentbutton located on the instrumentpanel. A light in the cluster willilluminate and chime will soundwhen this feature is activated.
2. To increase descent speed, press the accelerator pedal until thedesired speed is reached. To decrease descent speed, press the brakepedal until the desired speed is reached.
Whether accelerating or decelerating, once the desired descent speed isreached, remove your feet from the pedals and the chosen vehicle speedwill be maintained.
Note: Noise from the ABS pump motor may be observed during hilldescent control operation. This is a normal characteristic of the ABS andshould be no reason for concern.

WARNING:
Hill descent control does not provide hill hold at
zero mph (0 km/h). When stopped, the parking brake must beapplied and/or the vehicle must be placed in P (Park) or it may rollaway.

Hill descent modes

• At speeds below 20 mph (32 km/h): When the HDC switch is pressedand HDC is active, the HDC telltale will flash.
  • At speeds below 20 mph (32 km/h): When the HDC switch is pressedand conditions are not correct for hill descent activation, the HDCsystem will be enabled, the light in the cluster will be on solid andHILL DESCENT CONTROL READY will be displayed in the messagecenter.
  • At speeds above 20 mph (32 km/h): When the HDC switch is pressed,the HDC system will be enabled, the light in the cluster will not beilluminated and FOR HILL CNTRL, 20 MPH OR LESS will be displayedin the message center.
    Refer to Message center in the Instrument Cluster chapter for hilldescent control messages.

2011 F-250/350/450/550 (f23) Owners Guide, 4th Printing USA (fus)

See also

[video]http://www.ford.com/trucks/superduty/2016/gallery/videos-and-demos/Videos/hill-start-assisthill-descent-control/FMFT0855000H/[/video]

Example of it's purpose