Sewer Cap/Flush Question

GaryB

Hi Folks,

I'm on my second trip. When connecting upon arrival at the CG, I removed the cap at the end of the sewer pipe (valve was closed and sewer hose not yet connected). About a pint of disgusting "stuff" came pouring out on my hands :( Do most people have this issue? Is it just residual "stuff" that washed out of the sewer tank while driving around and accumulated at the end of the sewer pipe?

At end of my first trip, I flushed the black tank with valve open (as directions say). Then after a few minutes, I closed the valve to let a few gallons of fresh water "coat" the bottom of the sewer tank (I read somewhere it's good practice to keep a small amount of water in the bottom of the tank so any unflushed solids are suspended in water). Is this how everybody else does it?

Thanks!
Gary

osims

bsims
Gary
That is normal at least on every trailer we have had. What i have done is buy the valve that has the end same as sewer hose and leave it on sewer outlet, when i get to the campground i connect hose on the valve and then open. The valves on the trailer leak by a little while traveling.

azbound

What you are experiacing is quite nornal, I did the same thing as OSIMS and added a gate valve, this eleminates the proble. If your not sure what we are talikng about, check with the nearest RV supply/Parts dealer they will point you to the Valves we are using.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
I have to say we do things a little differently. We completely drain the tank and make sure the drain pipe is completely drained after rinsing, before closing the valve.

We don't ever have any "residual" to deal with. However, we are fulltiming so leaving anything in the tank is really not an issue, as we are usually just moving to another full hook-up site.

sailorand

Past British Columbia Chapter Leader
I would say you do have a leaky valve. I have one on the kitchen sin k grey water tank. I have taken it apart twice and it still leaks, so maybe the third time will be lucky and fix it so it does not leak.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I do the same as kakampers..
We drain ours just before we travel. I wash out the black tank until I get clear water. When finished I close the valve, drain the two gray tanks. Leave the hose on the drain for a few minutes, then put it up. If I have anything escape when I remove the cap at the next site, it may be a drop or two and that is all.

I know a number of people that use the twist on valve shown at camping world. So far I haven't needed it. If it would make you feel better when draining the black tank, 20 bucks is cheap satisfaction.

sJv

I know a number of people that use the twist on valve shown at camping world. So far I haven't needed it. If it would make you feel better when draining the black tank, 20 bucks is cheap satisfaction.

There is another trick one can do if you have this valve. When drycamping, the shower grey tank will usually fill long before the kitchen one does. If you keep both grey valves open with the output valve closed, you have now created one large grey water tank. To dump, connect the hose, close the grey valves, open the output valve, then dump as usual.

-steve

GaryB

Thanks everybody for the info!

Sorry to be dense, but does the Camping World item (recommended in above posts) stay permanently affixed to the sewer pipe? Otherwise, wouldn't I get the same result whenever I unscrewed the cap (at end of the pipe) to install this gadget?

We just got back from our second-ever RV trip today (Holiday World in Santa Claus, Indiana). RV is working great and I'm starting to get the hang of most things EXCEPT backing up --- backing is a major pain in the rear!!! I thought hitching/unhitching would be the tough part, but it's a piece of cake compared to backing up. I was lucky the CG host helped me on my first trip, and I got a pull-thru site on my second trip! I'm still debating whether we want to stick with this hobby (not sure if we'll do it enough to stick with it). Wife and I argue more when camping than when at home!! Then again, we're still in the "anxiety stage" and have a toddler and finicky toy poodle (poodle doesn't like traveling) to contend with.

Gary

osims

bsims
Gary
I leave the valve attached . Hopefully things will get easy and you can enjoy. Backing just takes a little practice.

HappyKayakers

Yes, the valve stays attached while traveling. There's even a little nub (sorry for the technical term) to attach the leader on your highway traveling cap.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Hang in there Gary. Backing up gets easier the more you do it. Like riding a bike, once you get the hang of it, you never forget.

Freckles

Founding New York Chapter Leader-Retired
Gary : I been though the backing up issues with the better half. I try to always back in if possible on driver side. Also the biggest help was 2 way radios , make sure you know in advance her left or yours !!Good luck

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
Gary,
I have only backed up a few times, but listen to these mentors, and I am sure both of us will learn to guage correctly soon. Just be thankful that you haven't hit a few things like some people I know and suffered the consequences. I was surprised when I had a few mishaps the positive reinforcement and horrid stories from other much more experienced RVers made mine seem trivial in comparison, after I had described my misadventures on this very forum.

wfwilson

Founding Canadian Region Director - Retired
Black Water Flush Connection

Every time I flush the Plastic connector and hose connection seems to leak. Changes washer, removed screen and still leaks. Has anyone changed the plastic connector to a brass or something better? If so were there any issues.
Thanks in advance for the comments!
Regards
Wayne