Computer and Camping

LeeM

HappyCamper
We are going on a 6 week holiday. I'd like to take my computer along. Other than the tower and monitor, what will I need to take along for a connection to the internet. It does have wireless LAN.

Lee

cdbMidland

Past Michigan Chapter Leader
Always helpful to have a printer with you as well and the cable.

Most folks travel with laptops and if the CG does not have wireless, then it is easy to find a library or coffee shop with wireless. Not a good option if you have to drag a tower and monitor with you.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Unless you have satellite internet or an aircard...not sure how you are going to get connected. Carrying your tower and monitor to an internet hook-up location would not be too feasible...

lleach

We have a laptop and use an aircard through our cell phone provider and it works great. We are in an RV park in the GA mountains and have had no problems connecting to the internet.

PUG

Pug
I find taking the tower, monitor, etc. too much. I did take along a laptop with a wireless card to use in wi fi areas but a lot of them are a pain to get onto. I have verizon cell coverage and my phone is quite new. I went with a plan (I believe around $60 month) where they gave me some software and I bought some connectors that ties the cell phone to the computer from Verizon. Anywhere I have cell coverage I have analong internet. In cities I have digital internet. What I like about this is you can cancel it anytime and reinstate it anytime so you are not paying for it the months you aren't using it. They also have cards that insert into the computer but I don't think you can cancel it and reopen it like I do????.

StevieWonder

Tower and monitor and POWER SURGE PROTECTION are all you need unless you take along a printer too, since your tower has a wireless network card built in. Of course that all TOTALLY depends on staying in campgrounds with wireless service. It's getting increasingly more common to find wireless internet in the campgrounds. Woodall's can tell you if they have service.

IF you plan on more remote locations you can also consider a USB-plug-in modem for your cellular carrier (you might have seen one of the many Verizon commercials). They give you access when you're not in a park with wireless but can get pricey if you surf extensively. Check the rate plan carefully if you elect to use the USB cellular modem as a supplemental internet access source.

The satellite service providers also have internet service available. I'm sure somebody with hands-on experience can elaborate on that alternative.

Gary Steeves

I also use the Verizon air-card with my Toshiba laptop. Works great. I signed a 2 year agreement, canceled my home high speed connection through my cable company I lost some speed in doing so, but I simply use the air-card at home as well as on-the-road and find the connectivity, speed and reliability to be just fine for all I do - including downloading some very large files, such as software releases.

I got tired of libraries and the charges some parks charge for wi-fi, not to mention their reliability issues. I'm happy with what I have and the monthly bill I pay ($60).

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
You might pack a USB hub if you think you are going to need extra peripherals along with a GOOD surge protector. Throw in an extra phone cable for those few campgrounds that still offer dialup access. If you take a wireless access point and/or an external wireless antenna (if your wireless card will let you hook one in) you can sometimes pick up other camper's wireless networks that your built-in wireless card isn't strong enough to pick up, provided they have left their network open for others to use. That would also let you use your computer when you stop for lunch if you happen to be near a wireless hotspot while on the road.