Wasp nest under cargo door latch - WTH?

Hutch85

This is a new one for me: spent yesterday afternoon doing maintenance on the trailer, such as sanitizing the water system, cleaning, etc. I accessed the cargo compartment a number of times without issue.. this evening I went to grab something from the cargo compartment, reached under the latch with my fingers to open it and felt something go 'crunch' under my fingers. Wondered to myself what could possibly get under the latch, i.e. someone stuck a pine cone or something silly in there? Looked underneath, lo and behold a wasp had already built the start of a nest and was inside it - the 'crunch' was my fingers crushing the nest.

Didn't take the little bugger long to build it, since it wasn't there yesterday. Also didn't take me long to get rid of nest and wasp ;) Have to say I've never seen that before, I've pulled nests out of the vent cap for the fridge vent before, and I added wire mesh to the access panels for the fridge as well as the furnace vent right after we purchased this trailer.

For those that suffer an allergic reaction to wasp stings, might be a helpful reminder to check under latches first!

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Last I saw a couple of hornets fly into the refrigerator vent on the Prowler . . .

Waited until dusk and popped the vent cover and sure enough . . . a hornets nest!

Needless to say . . . it is now gone!