Dometic 310 Toilet Issues

olcoon

For the last few trips, I've noticed that water just trickles out of our toilet when flushing. Today, I finally decided to tear into it to fix the problem. I figured the inlet line was clogged, but just to make sure, I had a new one on hand. Got it removed from the stool, & I can't understand why the water was just trickling out! Got that taken care of & the difference is amazing! First photo is the toilet valve with the "collection", 2nd is the debris that was removed, & 3rd is what it's supposed to look like. Keeping the old valve for a spare.

View attachment 45205 View attachment 45207View attachment 45206

olcoon

Thanks, I'll try it again! Well, if they worked they aren't in order, view them backwards!
IMG_1493.jpgIMG_1494.jpgIMG_1492.jpg

danemayer

Wow Roy. If that's what's getting through your water system, I'd hate to see what's in your stomach. ;)

I'm guessing you don't use a water filter.

olcoon

Yes I do use one, but it's one of those cheap blue ones from Walmart. I've been thinking about doing something different, guess it's time, huh?! It almost looked like crushed sea shells, don't know what it is, possibly calcium particles? Whatever it is, it sure clogged up that valve!!!

There have been a few times that for whatever reason I haven't put the filter on, but it's been a long time ago.

carl.swoyer

What is the process for fixing this . My 310 the foot pedal is sticking causing water to flow into the bowl.

Carl & Christine, 2012 Landmark Rushmore, 2005 Silverado crew cab lt 8 foot bed 6.6 lly /Allison -custom dual exhaust-198000 miles !

olcoon

All I did was to replace the water valve, I don't know if it would affect the foot pedal or not. But to replace it was easy, took less than ½ hour. When you buy the new valve there are directions included, along with a screw type hose clamp. To take the old one off you first shut off the water coming into your rig, then flush the toilet. Then disconnect the two water lines. The inlet (the water supply line) has a screw on connection, unscrew it. The other water line going from the valve to the top of the stool has a pex connection. I used a pair of side cutters to cut it off. Remove the hose, then comes the hardest part. The valve has two snap fit connections & you have to take a screwdriver to push them in to remove the valve. I had to use a "stubby" screwdriver for the bottom one. Once it's removed just install the new one where the old one was. There is a hole inside the base of the toilet & once you've got the new valve lined up into the hole, it just snaps in. Then reinstall the water lines & you are done. Make sure to check for leaks afterward. Also I had some paper towels handy to sop up the water that was inside the water lines & valve. Didn't have to dismantle the stool so it wasn't too bad. You may have an issue with the foot pedal, but replacing the valve may be the issue. They aren't cheap, cost me $54.00 for a chunk of plastic!

danemayer

You have to distinguish between a valve problem and a pedal problem. Either one could stick. If the pedal isn't returning to the rest position, that's different from a valve that's sticking open.

Btw, you can get a new white Dometic 310 from Amazon for $127 (bone is a little more). It takes less time to replace the entire toilet than to replace the valve.

And if you do replace the toilet, you might want to add a Sharkbite Cutoff Valve at the same time to simplify future maintenance. Just take care that when you cut the pex line to install the valve, you don't let go and allow it to drop into the basement.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
You have to distinguish between a valve problem and a pedal problem. Either one could stick. If the pedal isn't returning to the rest position, that's different from a valve that's sticking open.

Btw, you can get a new white Dometic 310 from Amazon for $127 (bone is a little more). It takes less time to replace the entire toilet than to replace the valve.

And if you do replace the toilet, you might want to add a Sharkbite Cutoff Valve at the same time to simplify future maintenance. Just take care that when you cut the pex line to install the valve, you don't let go and allow it to drop into the basement.

But if you're going to replace the toilet, consider the Dometic 320. A much nicer, residential style toilet that cleans the bowl much better.

http://www2.dometic.com/cc57f50b-fdc7-49e3-a0e3-1aff76a95624.fodoc

gasman

Camp Socializer
If you decide to go with the Dometic 320, you need to check clearances. It requires more room at the back and, because it has the elongated bowl, it will extend further into the room. It is the Cadillac of toilets...if it will fit.