Installed New Wheels on TV - have questions

brianlajoie

I switched out my OEM wheels on my 2012 F350 for a set of new Rickson 19.5" wheels and Toyo tires. I have gone no where but out of the garage and back in when the breaks squeak more than they ever have. I initially torqued the new wheels to 150 ft-lbs, then tried re-torquing them at 140 ft-lbs. No change. It doesn't make sense to me. Anyone have any ideas?

IronJ

Well..I would check the pads...front or rear squeeking?...tbh mine started squeaking around 15k miles on light brake application?....pads and calipers good...it seemed to be a dust issue...if I wash em it's good for a week or two?

sent from space via an invisible beam from a flying metal dish

billk263

California-South Chapter Leaders
I would make sure that the brake calipers are not rubbing or touching anything.

Bill & Irene

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MP_CS

I would guess that during the swap maybe some dirt or a stone got into your pad, is it only one side front or rear? Just swapping out wheels shouldn't have any effect whatsoever on you're brakes. I know it sounds stupid but are you sure the new wheels aren't rubbing on the calipers or upper control arm?

brianlajoie

It seems like the squeaking is coming from the front brakes. The wheels were changed in the garage and I live in the suburbs, so I think I can rule out rocks (and probably dust/dirt).

I will jack up one of the wheels and rotate the wheel and then apply the brake. I will be watching underneath to see if I can see what is making the noise (brake caliper and upper control arm test). If this doesn't work, I'm prepared to remove the wheel and put on the old wheel and redo the test. The new wheel/tire combo is about 70 pounds compared to much less than that for the old. I don't think the change in weight would have caused this. Rickson's web site states that the wheels are custom made to replace OEM wheels. I would think this would include the wheel offset (although I'm not sure I totally understand the concept).
this.