Truck + 5th Wheel Length

mselby

Future Heartland Owner
Can anyone give me an idea how much of a 5th wheel's overall length is over the truck? I would think it would be pretty much the same for various RV lengths.)
This way I can calculate the overall combination truck/trailer length. Still looking at 5th wheel models and are settling between 32 and 36 ft. But some of that will be lapped over the truck bed.

Thanks very much.

truknutt

Committed Member
mselby,

I have an '03 F350 Crew LB DRW w/Cyclone 3210. The Cyclone's leading edge is nearly centered over my rear axle with the king pin a couple of inches further forward. I have attached two photos for you to eyeball.

A word of caution...if you are looking at the Heartland lengths in the brochure or on their website to get your dimensions; it has been discussed/determined that these are probably interior lengths. For example the website lists the length of the 3210 at 33' 9". I can tell you that my 3210 is 35' 8" from the leading edge of its hitch to rear bumper.

It looks to me that Heartland uses maybe 4 or 5 different front caps on their trailers depending upon the model. For your particular question of overall TV & trailer length, it would be better to always measure the trailer from the Kingpin on back because the pin's location in your truck will always remain the constant. Measure from your truck's front bumper back to the point of your inbed hitch where the Kingpin will be and then add the two measurements to come up with your overall length.

If you have a particular model of trailer in mind, I'm sure the forum members can get you the "pin to bumper" numbers you want.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• Cyc0082.jpg
    Cyc0082.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 70
  • Cyc0098.jpg
    Cyc0098.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 65

ptillett

I was told by the salesman (when we bought our trailer this year), that the model number (like mine is 2900 but almost 32 ft long by brochure), is the length behind the truck. Not the actual length of the trailer, nose to tail. So, I got the impression from the salesman that our trailer would be 29' behind the bumper of the truck. I should physically check this out. Just never found a need, yet.

You make me wonder. We hook up next weekend. I'll see if I can remember to measure, out of curosity.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I know I a 53 1/2 feet long front truck bumper to rear cap of 5er. Ours is supposed to be 37'10" according to the factory however when you measure the 5er from the front of the kingpin hit to the rear cap it is 39'11". I just usually say I am 40 feet for the 5er and 53' overall for simplicity sake. Texas has a 65 foot limit anyway.

mselby

Future Heartland Owner
Thanks, folks.

The reason I ask now - before I purchase the 5er - is that I want the option to tow an ATV trailer behind our rig sometimes. And, as jmgratz notes, states have limits to overall lengths (e.g., Texas is 65').

Additionally, I have heard that other states will honor your home state's length limit. Say, Delaware has a 60' limit, but would allow us from Texas to drive through Delaware with 65'.

I am not so keen for long lengths, but really do not want to go to a toy hauler for the relatively few ATV trip vs. plain camping trips we will have. [Do not like lounging in the kitchen as a toy hauler is laid out.]

Thanks for your helpful info.

RubiconAg

You should also check the laws on multiple trailers. I believe in cali the length is also 35' but to tow doubles you have to have a CDL.

Niles

I don't think you can count on other states honoring home state length laws, it's like saying you're from South Dakota and the speed limit is 75, just doesn't work. However we have been towing double since getting the BH and we're 70 feet long, have not had a problem YET! We went to Florida from Indiana and according to the State RV and Motorhome Size Limits guide that I have, none of the states we went though was legal, including my home state of Indiana. What I have found with talking to others that most states don't pay to much attention to RV's double towing or the length. You can see some really elite outfits going down the road. I'm sure someone will also mention the legal part of what if you are involved in a crash, I'm not a lawyer, I could see problems however, and there is always that one guy with the badge that don't like red trucks with Bighorns. Good luck!!!

Oldlthrneck

Just an Old Jarhead
I don't think you can count on other states honoring home state length laws, it's like saying you're from South Dakota and the speed limit is 75, just doesn't work. However we have been towing double since getting the BH and we're 70 feet long, have not had a problem YET! We went to Florida from Indiana and according to the State RV and Motorhome Size Limits guide that I have, none of the states we went though was legal, including my home state of Indiana. What I have found with talking to others that most states don't pay to much attention to RV's double towing or the length. You can see some really elite outfits going down the road. I'm sure someone will also mention the legal part of what if you are involved in a crash, I'm not a lawyer, I could see problems however, and there is always that one guy with the badge that don't like red trucks with Bighorns. Good luck!!!

I am not sure that the speed limit laws would be a good analogy. I know that California, for instance, requires that RVs over a certain length require the operator to get a special RV endorsement for their license. Since Washington state does not require that, I don't think that precludes me from visiting California with my RV. There are different laws and different circumstances that your home state law prevails and others where the law of the state you are in would prevail. I think if one was that concerned about it, a bit of research and checking would ease the mind and head off any problems during your trip. I also think that we, collectively as RVers, are a pretty cautious bunch. I also think that it leads us to overthink things a lot of times. I go by gut feeling a lot, if it feels wrong, then it usually is. ;)

Niles

Guess I didn't say it right, what I mean is that usually whatever state you are in, that is the laws that you are expected to follow. The special driver's permit for CA is that state's requirement. And I know from driving 32 years and over 3 million miles that when a cop pulls you over he really doesn't care if you're legal in your home state, he's only worried about one state and that's his. The driver license is the one thing that they do honor from whatever state you are from, having a federal CDL makes me good just about any where I go.

Sundance_kid

Check my profile, overall length is 65' the limit for Ca. My truck and Sundance 3300SK are 50' 6", utility trailer is 14" 6". 1st time I pulled back to Colorado I called all the states I was going through to make sure I'd have no trouble. Never got a second look from any state patrols. Also RubiconAg had a typo should be 65" for CA.

Shadowchek

I was reading about this earlier today and you are right as long as you have a class A license. Otherwise there is no double towing in Ca. at least the way I read it.