Problem with Dish Satellite

bsummit

Arkansas Chapter Leader-Retired
:confused::confused:I'll try to brief with this. I have a new satellite dish and LNB (legacy twin). The first time I used it was at home to test it out. Everything was fine, picked up both 110 and 119 satellite's. Our first trip in the 3670 it worked great. Our second trip it would only pick up satellite 119, it wouldn't detect 110. I called dish network support and couldn't get any satisfaction. The rest of our vacation was at parks that had cable so I decided to wait till I got back home and try it again. I set up the dish and got it adjusted to my location. Turned the TV and satellite receiver on and now the menu won't even come up. I tried it with the Olevia TV on composite and tuner and still nothing. I thought it might be the receiver so I took one out of the house and it still would not show the dish network menu.:( Could it be a bad LNB? It acts like there is no signal getting to the receiver. I'm not real smart on this, but if the dish and LNB is ok I should be able to atleast have a menu on the screen. Unless I have a bad coax connection. I'm not real happy with dish network, thinking about switching to Direct. Any and all help appreciated the wife likes her satellite.

Bill

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
I am no expert either,but it sounds like a bad LNB to me. I have Direct. One time I tried for at least an hour to get a signal in open ground. I set my dish right beside of another guys dish and lined it up with his. Still no signal. I finally ask him if I could hook my cable to his dish and I got a picture. Replaced my LNB and all was fine.

osims

bsims
I am no expert either but i had a problem with coax connection. The way i could tell was very dim light and almost no tone at the meter. Once i fixed connection and got good tone it was allright.

sharmulst

I am no expert either, but after having our dish on vacation for 6 months, we re-instated it. While in Grove, OK we could not get the menu on screen, finally paid for dish to come out. All was well after that until we moved, again problems. This time it turned out to be a bad coax. After replacing that we are in business. I would look at the coax first.

Jimmyt5

Look at or replace the coax from recevier to tv or use RCA conectors, make sure you have the TV setup on the right input. if it is OK then you need to check the receiver. You should have a menu with out the dish setup.

SmokeyBare

Bsummit,

I have my dish Network system attached by a "S-Video" cable... connecting from the back of the Receiver to the back of our Olevia TV. I also have two RC cables for the sound.... Red and White for left and right sound to go to the sound system through the TV.

Using the Source button on the Remote... selecting "S-Video" mode... with the Receiver's power button on.... you should be able to get the menu to appear... even if the LNB is or is not connected to the receiver.

I had trouble with my Dual LNB as well... went back to using two single LNB's I kept for a "Just In Case" problem.

You can temporarily run a cable from the dish LNB... direct to the back of the Receiver... This will assist you in deciding if the RV's Cable is at fault. If you get everything working... that has narrowed down the problem.

Have you ever gotten the menu tell you... found wrong satellite?

Have you switched between 110 & 119... when attempting to acquire the signal?

Try putting the Transponder to 15... before you begin to adjust the dish to acquire the signal...

Good Luck !

bsummit

Thanks everybody for all the suggestions. I'm going to take everybodys advise and work on it Monday and try to get it narrowed down. It should not be the LNB cause it's new, but of course that don't mean anything either, (probably made in china).

Bill

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
You didn't say or I didnot understand if the satellite is of the dome type mounted on the roof or the type that you have to set up and aim yourself. I had a problem with my Wineguard Dome and couldn't get anything. I traced it out to the 12 volt supply to the power supply board inside the dome. Wineguard sent me a replacement at no charge, I switched out the board and it has worked great ever since. Also there is a fuse in the 12 volt panel for the dome dish that you need to check also. If you have a portable dish, I would run a new piece of coax (externally) to check out the coax first. Another thing to check are the ends on the coax by GENTLY pulling on the coax while holding the connector to make sure it is attached properly. Also look at the coax and make sure the copper wire is straight and making the connection. (all this from an old TV repairman) Hope this helps. If you have a connection you should have a menu even if you have not found the satellite. By the way, I had Dish for a number of years and changed to Direct TV about 1 year ago. In my opnion I find that Direct TV has a much sharper picture and with Direct TV you do not have to switch satellites. Direct TV just works better for RVers...

bsummit

jimgratz, thanks for the info. What I have is the dish mounted on tri-pod. And yes the first thing I plan on doing is to connect direct to the receiver with the 50 ft. coax I have. I am begining to think that is what the problem is, bad connections or bad coax in the unit.
I've been told that the direct TV is much better than dish for RV'ers. I will probably switch before it's over with.
Bill

slmayor

Founding California Northern Chapter Leader
Some added information for your consideration. We've been having trouble with our Dish system as well. We use a portable tripod system when out and a permanently mounted dish at home. We keep it hooked up as we were having problems from it being disconnected and not "updating". When we called Dish the other day after attempting to get signal, we were told they no longer support systems mounted in Rv's. We would have to call an independent repair service. Now, I know from doing checks on my home service that they can walk you through some diagnostics and determine where the problem lies, IE: dish or receiver. The person on the phone refused to transfer us to a supervisor and kept repeating they did not support RV mounted units. Our contract with Dish is up this month and I will seriously consider switching services to Direct. Just seems wrong to me that they want to charge me extra for the receiver in my RV, but don't support it.

Jimmyt5

I have had the update problem from Dish and was told by them when I have this problem call and tell them that I have a RV that has not been plugged in and to give me a BURST. I have done this and had no problem. The tech the other day said they sent out a bad update and the phones light up all evening.....
If you get some nut case just call back...............

bsummit

Well I have part of the problem narrowed down. I hooked up another TV in the living area bypassing the coax in the unit and I got a setup screen, so I hooked up the coax to the unit and it is ok. I hooked everything back up to the Olevia and I couldn't get a system screen on any source. I continued to work with the Olevia remote and finally got a system screen but I don't know what I did to get it. I know I have it on the Tuner source. I have voiced my dislike for the Olevia remote in the past, (I hate it). Now if I can get it to work right tomorrow I have some issues with dish network to call them about. It is still not receiving satellite 110 and I think it is a software issue and not my LNB. I'll keep everyone post tomorrow on the outcome.
Thanks everybody.

Bill

SmokeyBare

BSummit,

You've most likely already did this... but I got to toss it out anyway...

Try the different Coax connections in the Docking station... give each one a try...

Sometimes they are not correctly labeled....

Marv

bsummit

SmokeyBare, I've already discovered that. When I first got the 3670 I tried and tried to get reception and finally figured out that I had it hooked to the wrong one.
Thanks though.
Bill

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I never got any support from Dish TV for the RV and had to lie saying the receiver was in an "out" building on my property. Further if I didnot turn on the receiver at least every other week it would go "inactive" and I would have to call and get it reactivated. Direct TV does support RVers and I have never had any problem with the receiver going inactive. I love my Direct TV...it just works better (my opnion)

Jimmyt5

If you have the skew and the angle set right on a vertical post and you are getting 119 go to check switch and run it. If you still don't get 110 you are probably set to low on the angle, and you need to elevate it a little, then run check switch again.
If you are using a coax from the Dish receiver to TV, the TV should be set to tuner input and set to TV station 3 or 4.

bsummit

Well I spent about 45 min. on the phone with dish network and I have all the channels on sat. 119 but still not receiving a signal from 110. The tech I talked to said they would have to correct that with a signal from the satellite. I checked tonight and I still don't have a signal. I have run check switch 2 or 3 times today and still the same. Looks like Direct TV is looking better every day.
I'll check tomorrow and see if they fixed it.
Thanks for all the replys and suggestions. That's what is so great about this forum, the good replys when you have a problem.
Thanks, Bill

cgunn

Dish Network Works Fine...

FWIW I have Dish Network and use a portable tripod outside.
It works Great.....So Far.....I am in the boonies in the mountains
of Southwest Colorado...(My zip code is E-I-E-I-O !!!!!)
The only trouble I have had was after a move when I had to reset
the tripod. The first time I didn't have a meter and had all kinds
of trouble. I could get sat 119 easy but couldn't find sat 110.
A fellow camper came over with his meter
and we found the lost satellite.....:)
I learned two valuable lessons on this subject.
1)Next time I WILL own a METER!!!:D
2)Look out for the TREES....:D
I had to move my tripod over about ten feet and it made all the
difference in the world.....
Like the commercial says...."Have a clear view of the Southern Sky"
ketch-ya-later.............:cool::cool:

cgunn

SW Colorado

HTNeighbors...
We bought our Bighorn in Durango...
We live in Ridgway,
Just about the most beautiful spot in Colorado!!
It did get COLD last winter but it's perfect now.