2011 Big Country 3500RL potential purchase

Seth586

My wife and I are planning on RVing full time in the Coachella desert of southern CA. We are currently looking at buying a 2011 Heartland Big Country 3500RL, is there anything I should look at before I take delivery from the dealership?

It appears there is only 1 AC unit, can a 2nd be added? I see in the literature that the bedroom AC is an add on, is the electric hookups previsioned or would it be an expensive modification at this point?

Thanks!

jimtoo

Hi Seth586,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and hopefully to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

You should not have a problem adding another A/C for the bedroom. The wiring is already run from the breaker box to the opening area of the vent that is in the bedroom now. You may need to buy a breaker for the box, but the wiring should be there.

The only thing to look for ,,,,, is everything that is there. Check it from top to bottom, have it hooked to water and electric, check to make sure everything operates even to draining the tanks.

Enjoy the forum and become a Heartlander.

Jim M

Flying Dutchman

Virginia Chapter Leaders - Retired
My wife and I are planning on RVing full time in the Coachella desert of southern CA. We are currently looking at buying a 2011 Heartland Big Country 3500RL, is there anything I should look at before I take delivery from the dealership?

It appears there is only 1 AC unit, can a 2nd be added? I see in the literature that the bedroom AC is an add on, is the electric hookups previsioned or would it be an expensive modification at this point?

Thanks!

Hello Seth586,
We just recently traded in our 2011 Big Country 3500RL and purchased a 2017 Landmark Orlando. Even though our new Landmark is wonderful, Our Big Country is really going to be missed.
I know you are on the other coast, but our Big Country is sitting on the lot at McGeorge's RV in Ashland , VA. You will not be able to find any better 3500RL anywhere, as we added so much to our rig. Here is the breakdown:
- Good Year "G" rated G-614 tires, including the spare (1 1/2 years old)
- MorRyde IS (independent suspension, 7K) in place of axles
- MorRyde disc brakes
- Lippert 6 leg Auto Level
- 2nd AC over bedroom
- New roof membrane (replaced by factory this past year)
- 2 new Fantastic fans installed (kitchen and bathroom)
- Front cap was painted and new decal 3 years ago (repaired grey fading issue)
- Pin box flex repaired by Lippert and Heartland this past year

Hope you find what you want. As to your question regarding adding a second AC: the wiring is in place from the factory, and the rig has 50 Amp electrics also from the factory so it is a relatively easy modification. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

SNOKING

Sounds like a road adventure might be in order for the OP! Get a great used trailer and see a little of the country at the same time. Chris

Seth586

Thanks for the input. I'll make sure we have the dealer hook everything up and run it through its paces. How much should I expect for a second AC install? Do I only have 1 option from the manufacturer, or are there a range of units that I can shop? And if so, what brand?