Electronic trailer brakes

BobHinSC

5/24/2016

Good afternoon everyone,
I found the harness and wiring for electronic trailer brakes in my glove box. Do I need to have an electronic trailer braking system mechanism installed on my 2015 Chevrolet Silverado 1500?
Thanks,

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Do you not have the integrated trailer brakes in the dash already ? If not then I believe that harness is to install the after market unit. You will probably need to connect the 12V power wire at the fuse box under the hood too. I know my 03 , 06 & 08 all had to be connected in order to get the 12V to charge the the RV batteries. If you have the camper package, there should be a long wire harness wrapped up under the front of the drivers side bed area that you can run back for the in bed 7-way plug.
Note: This has been the case on all of my 2008 and older so I really don't know what the 2015 has for you.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Unless you ordered the truck with the full trailering package, you will have to buy and install an aftermarket controller. Had to do that a few years ago when I had a new Avalanche. Not very difficult to install.

DougS

Doug S
I just YouTubed your truck and eTrailer has a controller install for a 2014 which probably close to yours. Looks easy enough, but then adding the plug in back also has to be done.

billyjoeraybob

South Carolina Chapter Leaders-Retired
5/24/2016

Good afternoon everyone,
I found the harness and wiring for electronic trailer brakes in my glove box. Do I need to have an electronic trailer braking system mechanism installed on my 2015 Chevrolet Silverado 1500?
Thanks,

Check with your dealer. I am sure they didn't let you off the lot without a brake controller. Factory is small panel located on the lower left hand side of your dash. Aftermarket would be a small box mounted under the dash. If you don't have one a Prodigy P3 is one of the best. If you don't have one you absolutely need one! Without it your electric trailer brakes will not function. If you didn't have an integrated factory controller, the would have sold you one.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
On my 2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD the integrated brake control is mounted toward the top of the dash board just left of the steering wheel and over the headlight and transfer case knobs.

There are two slider knobs . . . although the right one slides . . . the other is just a finger rest for setting the amount of brake you'll need.

With both our previous 2013 Heartland Trail Runner bumper pull trailer and our new Heartland Prowler 5th-wheeler, it seems that a setting of 5.5 is the perfect amount of brake.

To turn on the trailer towing feature, there is a button to push in on the tip of the shift lever at right of the steering wheel.

TruckCamperHomeDepot-IMG_20140828_132314121.jpg ProwlerMonarchPass-P1010480.jpg

BobHinSC

I don't have the built in brake control but I do have the towing button on the shift knob. Do I need to add an additional electric brake apparatus?

- - - Updated - - -

I do not have integrated trailer brakes built in. I will have to look into having an electronic brake control installed, wonder what that will cost?

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I don't have the built in brake control but I do have the towing button on the shift knob. Do I need to add an additional electric brake apparatus?

Yes, you do need to have the trailer brakes working.

- - - Updated - - -

I do not have integrated trailer brakes built in. I will have to look into having an electronic brake control installed, wonder what that will cost?

Probably $200-$300 bucks . . .

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
You can install it yourself. The harness you have is a "plug and play". One end connects to a terminal box to the left of the brake pedal on the firewall. Remove the cover and the harness will only plug in one spot. The other end plugs into your controller. Route the harness up out of the way and screw the controller to left side of the dash left of the steering column. Read the instructions for the setting up the controller. If it takes more than 30 minutes to do......you took too many coffee/beer breaks. One other thing....make sure all the fuses are installed in the under hood fuse center for the trailer brakes and charging the battery.

BobHinSC

What is the best type of electronic brake control box and cost? 30 minutes to install, you have never seen me try to be mechanical.

mlpeloquin

When choosing a mounting location, use double sided tape to try it first. You should be able to reach it easy, see the display, and not have it hit your knee when getting in or out of the truck. Not a hard job.