Residential Fridge Headaches

sbhoward

We have the Residential side-by-side. Our unit has been in the shop several times. First we couldn't keep the inverter running while on the road due to bad batteries, bad relays, ad nauseum.

We have just lost our third load of food due to it stopping for some reason when on the road. Inverter was running fine, doors latched, but temps were way up. This was after only 4 hours on the road. We have attached to shore power now and after nearly three hours, all I can say is the freezer finally appears to be reaching temps. Fridge however hasn't budged.

Any idea what to check? We are on the road, 2,000 miles from home and the dealer. Checked ac breaker making sure power is getting to unit. Front door readout is functioning.

Any hep would be deeply appreciated......

danemayer

Re: Residential Residential Fridge Headaches

Hi sbhoward,

Many residential refrigerators cool the freezer compartment and have a vent that passes the cold air into the refrigerator compartment. If your freezer is cooling, but the refrigerator isn't, is is possible there's something blocking that vent on one side or the other?

As for the temperature climbing while towing, it sounds like there's a problem getting power to the refrigerator when running off the inverter. Since you didn't mention the inverter displaying an error, I'd guess the problem may be at the transfer switch, or in a junction box; perhaps a loose connection. If you've had a lot of work done around the inverter, it's possible something was left loose or partially unplugged.

Our Residential Refrigerator Guide has a block diagram of the electrical path, along with a diagnostic flowchart for the power to the fridge. It might help you track down the problem.

Mburtsvt

I'm going to go out on a limb here because i'm the king of silly mistakes. Was the inverter on? Did you turn it on when you disconnected from shore power?

I know - silly question - but there is a precedence.

carl.swoyer

Lock rotar amperage. I had an 07 cedar Creek with an amanna residential frig. The inverter was not sufficient to run the Frig.the Inverter didn't have enough ability to cycle the compressor on the frig. Forest River ended up putting a larger inverter in. It solved the problem

Carl & Christine, 2012 Landmark Rushmore, 2005 Silverado crew cab lt 8 foot bed 6.6 lly /Allison -custom dual exhaust-205000 miles !

Bones

First check.
Does the refrigerator reach temperature under Shore power?
Check the amperage draw when on shore power. High amperage draw may lead to a bad compressor. We had that problem and the inverter wouldn't run

Next. Everything checks out a OK when on shore power will lead to the inverter just not having enough start up umph and will eventually kick out.
Inverter has enough power but dies along the way. Batteries are not enough and the truck is not providing enough power to keep some charge to them. Get bigger batteries.

What size are your batteries? Are they deep cycle?

danemayer

At one point, the inverter Heartland used had an error code display. E03 would indicate an overload from the refrigerator.

Not too long after Heartland began shipping residential refrigerators, Fridgidaire changed the compressors on their refrigerators and they were overloading the Magnum Inverter, causing an E03 code. The firmware on the inverters was upgraded to deal with the change.

If you have a Fridgidaire unit you should call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. Have your VIN # ready. Maybe you have one of the early inverters.

carl.swoyer

That is what I was saying. It's called lock rotar amperage.the compressor tries to kick on and the inverter has insufficient ability to provide the amps required

Carl & Christine, 2012 Landmark Rushmore, 2005 Silverado crew cab lt 8 foot bed 6.6 lly /Allison -custom dual exhaust-205000 miles !

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Was your refrigerator at temperature before you hit the road?
You should not have a problem with loosing food after only four hours.

Peace
Dave

Bones

At one point, the inverter Heartland used had an error code display. E03 would indicate an overload from the refrigerator.

Not too long after Heartland began shipping residential refrigerators, Fridgidaire changed the compressors on their refrigerators and they were overloading the Magnum Inverter, causing an E03 code. The firmware on the inverters was upgraded to deal with the change.

If you have a Fridgidaire unit you should call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. Have your VIN # ready. Maybe you have one of the early inverters.
Dan,
Mine is now starting to beep ever so slightly now that the refrigerator is getting a little older. I think the inverter we have is border line and really should have been a larger inverter.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
I hate to say it but we were one of the ones who was caught up in the inverter problems. After replacement from HL on the inverter and still a problem, we just had the dealer install a 1500 watt inverter. Haven't had a problem since.

justafordguy

Heartland sent me a new one right after we got our 3650BH and it has worked perfectly ever since i installed it.

I also agree that if the fridge was cold when you left shore power that it should be fine for 4 hours on the road even if it was turned off.

ksucats

We don't travel with the refrigerator on - I figure that the roads around here are bad enough on us humans, I can not even imagine what that jarring and bumping would be like on a residential refer compressor. Freezer normally shows near zero and refer in the low 40s, maybe high 30s when I disconnect shore power. That said, we leave in the morning (normally around 9 or so) and stop for lunch around 1:30 / 2:00 and the freezer will be over 40 degrees and the refer portion in the upper 50s. This when traveling in 60 / 70 degree weather. Have no idea what it will be when we travel next month and temps are in or close to the nineties or higher. Obviously we don't travel with frozen foods which is a bummer because I sure love my ice cream :cool:.

Bones

We don't travel with the refrigerator on - I figure that the roads around here are bad enough on us humans, I can not even imagine what that jarring and bumping would be like on a residential refer compressor. Freezer normally shows near zero and refer in the low 40s, maybe high 30s when I disconnect shore power. That said, we leave in the morning (normally around 9 or so) and stop for lunch around 1:30 / 2:00 and the freezer will be over 40 degrees and the refer portion in the upper 50s. This when traveling in 60 / 70 degree weather. Have no idea what it will be when we travel next month and temps are in or close to the nineties or higher. Obviously we don't travel with frozen foods which is a bummer because I sure love my ice cream :cool:.
Your compressor is going to be jarred around whether it is running or not so leave it run so you can enjoy your ice cream.:cool:

carl.swoyer

I had a residential in my cedar Creek left it running while traveling. Never any problems.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

farside291

Mine is a 2015, I must have either lucked out or just haven't had the problems...yet. But if I do I already have my 2000 watt inverter picked out to replace the 1000 watt magnum. But, that being said, I run my 22 cubic foot Frigidaire when we travel with no problems. I did have to pull off the side of the road once because I forgot to hit the transfer switch to change it over to the inverter power. I am knocking on wood as I type.

Piperflyer

Mine is running all the time while traveling. We are full timers and haven't had any problems yet. The coach is on the road 2 or 3 times a week driving 200 - 350 miles at a clip.