Tow vehicle / Tire questions and issues...

Booch

May not be the right forum for this, but we'll see. Sorry in advance for the long post, but I need some help. :)

I've got a 2015 Ram Rebel 1500 towing a Heartland North Trail 24BHS (5,600lbs). My truck seems to have developed a problem with tracking straight. Its not as noticeable empty, but when I towed last week (first time this season) it felt like I was on the verge of losing control - a lot. I didn't even have enough confidence to change lanes when other vehicles were around. It feels like the front wheels are driving the truck, and I'm constantly correcting (and overcorrecting) it back to center. Changing lanes produces this little "wiggle", and the truck will sort of wander off in either direction at any time.

FWIW I'm not a newbie to towing. I've towed this camper several times in my previous Ram 1500 Sport (which besides being rough at times had no problems tracking straight), I towed it once last fall with the new Rebel and thought it was fine, and am fairly certain this is an issue with the truck and not my WDH setup or packing distribution.

I'm out here because I've had it to two different dealers, both of which acknowledge the sensation and then came back and told me it's normal. They both said the alignment was fine.

The main difference between the trucks is the wheels\tires and a different suspension setup. Sport had coils, Rebel has the air suspension. The Sport had 20x9 275/60R20, and the Rebel has 17x8 285/70R17. I can't help but think the taller sidewall, skinnier rim of the Rebel wheels might be causing the problem. But then again, wonder if I've got something hokey with my tie rods or ball joints.

So, I'm just looking for some thoughts since the dealers aren't helping much. I'm considering buying some 20x9s to see if I'm right, because besides trading the truck I don't know what else to do.

Last edited by a moderator:

hoefler

Because of the air suspension, the truck does not squat under load. You will need to lower the hitch head height and possibly the angle for the preload on the bars. If you did not make any changes to the setup for the new truck, you are running with a unloaded steer axle.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Did your dealership set up your WD system for your new truck?

I know that when I got my new truck (had a bumper pull trailer at the time), the whole WD setup had to be reconfigured, including buying a new ball drop down!

Which WD setup do you have?

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Sounds to me what you are describing is not enough weight on the front of the tow vehicle which will cause the truck to wander. In other words there is too much weight on the rear of the tow vehicle. This can be caused by an improper setup of the WDH.

mlpeloquin

May not be the right forum for this, but we'll see. Sorry in advance for the long post, but I need some help. :)

I've got a 2015 Ram Rebel 1500 towing a Heartland North Trail 24BHS (5,600lbs). My truck seems to have developed a problem with tracking straight. Its not as noticeable empty, but when I towed last week (first time this season) it felt like I was on the verge of losing control - a lot. I didn't even have enough confidence to change lanes when other vehicles were around. It feels like the front wheels are driving the truck, and I'm constantly correcting (and overcorrecting) it back to center. Changing lanes produces this little "wiggle", and the truck will sort of wander off in either direction at any time.

FWIW I'm not a newbie to towing. I've towed this camper several times in my previous Ram 1500 Sport (which besides being rough at times had no problems tracking straight), I towed it once last fall with the new Rebel and thought it was fine, and am fairly certain this is an issue with the truck and not my WDH setup or packing distribution.

I'm out here because I've had it to two different dealers, both of which acknowledge the sensation and then came back and told me it's normal. They both said the alignment was fine.

The main difference between the trucks is the wheels\tires and a different suspension setup. Sport had coils, Rebel has the air suspension. The Sport had 20x9 275/60R20, and the Rebel has 17x8 285/70R17. I can't help but think the taller sidewall, skinnier rim of the Rebel wheels might be causing the problem. But then again, wonder if I've got something hokey with my tie rods or ball joints.

So, I'm just looking for some thoughts since the dealers aren't helping much. I'm considering buying some 20x9s to see if I'm right, because besides trading the truck I don't know what else to do.

If it wants to or feels like it is wandering when the truck is empty, then it may be your tires. I have had this happen on a small truck years back and one car. With any groves in the concrete the vehicle would track on them like a slot car. A set of new tires and all was well. Adding a load in the back making the front lighter exasperates the problem.

justafordguy

The size of the tires is not the problem. That is a common size and many people tow with that size, I run that size tire/wheel on my f250 and it tracks very straight with my current 5er and did with my last TT also. I also think you have a WDH setup problem. You're taking to much weight off the front axle.