2009 Big Horn Sound System

Campdmg

We recently took delivery of our 2009 Big Horn. Love it. Still identifying little things and checking here before we make too much noise. Being the television junkie and "snob" that I am....:D....I am somewhat disappointed in two things:
  1. The Jensen television's sound leaves a lot to be desired. We currently have it turned all the way up to "68" and can still barely hear it.
  2. The Samsung tuner doesn't seem to accommodate television sound through the surround system. DVDs, CDs and radio are fine, but would really love to be able to take advantage of the HD channels fully.
It's odd....the back panel of the tuner doesn't have any Aux out plugs, so I can't even plug the Satellite Radio into the tuner. Had to go buy a small portable stereo to use.

Very disappointing. Anyone having this issue? Any way to fix it (or me???...maybe I'm doing something wrong.) We're seasonal, and living in the rig all season, so I'd really like to correct this if possible.

Don't get me wrong...I'd make this Fiver purchase all over again knowing this. I love this rig. A lot.

Michael Guest
Windsor, CT

Campdmg

This is crazy. Okay...so my partner figured out how to get the TV sound through the Tuner and the Surround Sound speaker system. But in order to get that to work, we have to put the television on "mute" and now we have to look at that sill mute icon all the time.

There's got to be a better way.....if I had hair, just about now, I'd be pulling it out. The satellite thing just sent me over the edge!! I tried something new on that, and it didn't work either.

I'll be fine in a minute.....just have to breathe. ;-)

sailorand

Past British Columbia Chapter Leader
we cannot et tv sound either trough the surround sound. I think the only option is to great a new sound system that will accomadate the inputs needed..

Shadowchek

The good thing is that you have decent wiring to work with. They give you enough to get by but if sound is important to you you will have to upgrade as I did. The tv is decent with all the needed inputs and outputs and the wiring is decent so it makes a nice upgrade pretty easy and relitively inexpensive if you are handy. I started out witha coby and upraded to a Samsung from best buy that had what I needed for around 200

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
we have a samsung dvd fm tv and if you play with the options you can get sound for your tv thru one way and on aux i think it goes thru the surround sound. it doesnt sound like u need an upgrade just have Jim Beletti come on over and fix it up for you like he did for me LOL

Chuck Richard

I am interested in how you got the sound to work even in mute. :confused: I have a 2009 Bighorn and my Samsung only has outputs which can only connect to the inputs on the TV. I have a radio antenna jack and the speaker connections. Sounds like a good trick to get the sound to work. I will probably upgrade so I can take advantage of the HDMI connections anyway.

mountainlovers76

Mississippi Chapter Leaders
Seems I must be lucky. I have the Samsung DVD player in my Bighorn and it works great. Just select AUX and the TV comes through the surround sound just as it should. Just turn the volume all the way down on the TV instead of using mute so you will not have the mute icon on your screen. The TV volume itself does not affect the surrond sound volume, they are independent....if connected properly that is. But then again, I may just have a different model Samsung...as I said, I may just be lucky. :)

Larryheadhunter

Ricky,
Mine works the same way now that Jim B hooked it up for me at the socal rally. we removed the fireplace and went in through the underside to attach all the cables for it to work correctly. My next move is to figure out how to use my sirius radio from the truck into both the entertainment center and also the outside speakers that I will buy, so I can keep the sound down a little, when we are outside playing around.

jbeletti

Larry,

My friends have one of these (from Brookstone) and I had to get one. I have it here at the rally but have yet to hook it up:

497362B_p2.jpg

There is a transmitter that connects inside the trailer to the output of your source, be it your surround receiver, satellite TV receiver, satellite radio tuner etc.

It is easier that running wires and easy to store. That's all good for you pal :)

Get a home kit for your model of satellite radio receiver. It will come with a cradle, AC adapter and antenna. Running the antenna wire into the trailer may be your only challenge. In a pinch, you can run the cable between the slide seals. But I'd go for a permanent mount ultimately.

As for getting the audio out of the satellite radio tuner, the home kit will likely come with cable. Probably 1/8" mini stereo phone plug to dual male phono (RCA) plugs. The RCAs will will connect to your surround receiver into the AUX input.

Have fun!

Jim

mountainlovers76

Mississippi Chapter Leaders
Ricky,
Mine works the same way now that Jim B hooked it up for me at the socal rally. we removed the fireplace and went in through the underside to attach all the cables for it to work correctly.

For future reference, I noticed you have the RE model as I do. If yours is like mine, not sure about the 3400, but you do not have to remove the fireplace to access the back of the TV. The sides panels beside the TV, at least on mine, are just a preformed type of heavy styrofoam held on with small wire nails. If you look closely you can see the tiny holes that were filled in with carpenters colored wood putty to match the panel color. You can very carefully pull the panel straight out and access the rear of the TV from the sides. I connected cables to every connection on the back of my TV this way right after purchase and routed them up to the DVD location for future use and labeled them. I am now prepared to add whatever new audio-video toy I want. ;) Then remove the wire brads, put the panel back in place and use tiny finish nails in the same locations where the wire nails were. Fill with colored wood putty and presto, you never know it was removed. Much, much easier than removing the fireplace. Worked for me anyway.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Larry, correct me if I am wrong. You installed Direct TV, yes??? Why do you need the sirius radio??? You have XM radio with Direct TV!!!!!!!!!!! Just mentoring along. Sure is bad to get old HUH Lar. Love, Bob and pat and:eek:

Chuck Richard

Well I have to undo my original post, :eek: just went exploring and found that the factory had wired the in on the surround to the in on the TV :eek: no wonder it would not work. I did find the same problem in having to use Mute and this requires changing the setting from "All" to "Main" in the audio set up menu. I do agree the mute icon is not good to look at but the TV sound and the surround sound do not sync up so no choice. I spent a bit of time with the TV manual and can not find an option to change the outputs to fixed and only see one set to choose from. I still will upgrade in the future but the sound is much better for now. :D

Larryheadhunter

Bob,
I already have the Sirius radio from my truck. After reading the literature I prefer sirius over XM althought its a great idea so I will listen to XM and see if I like it. If so, it will be a lot easier to connect to outside speakers and save me a lot of time and effort helping you install it in my rig!LOL And it will be a long time till I can say I am as old as you. Ouch! Just kidding Gramps it is bad getting old. Wish I was a youngster like Jimbo, the young pup.

Larryheadhunter

Mountain lovers,
I guess I didn't say it right but my Samsung and surround sound and TV work the same as yours. As far as accessing the TV, Jimbo tried to remove the side panels unsuccessfully, so we had to go through the fireplace. You would have to ask him all the technical reasons and if our rigs are built differently.

CGibson

I wanted to post an idea that we did to make access to the back of the TV easier if you need to get back there again. We pulled off the side panels on our 3400RE and instead of using nails or brads to re-attach it, we used heavy duty 1 1/2 inch wide velcro. Now when we need to get back there, it is easy.