Anyone using Anderson Wheel Chocks?

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
Looks like a great idea and think I will pick one up.
The video of the jack on the dualy wasn't effectively done..
if the flat was on the inside and they had the jack on the outside tire...hum...wouldn't' work...

jimtoo

Looks like a great idea and think I will pick one up.
The video of the jack on the dualy wasn't effectively done..
if the flat was on the inside and they had the jack on the outside tire...hum...wouldn't' work...

You cannot use these to change a tire on a dually. Both tires are secured with the same set of lug nuts. You remove lug nuts and both tires will come off.

These are used only for leveling a rig and personally I would never use it. I saw a problem getting the unit off of one of these by a person. You pull forward to much and the tire drops off completely and the chock goes up between the tires and is wedged in place if used on a trailer with the normal 2 axles. This could damage a tire.

Jim M

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
Jim:
Thanks....I knew it wouldn't work on the dually but they showed the pictures of it on a dually?? I thought for marketing purposes they did a bad job...In the video of it pulling up on the trailer, it almost came off as you mentioned....you would need two people to guide this....Since my "Aussie" Girls can't talk, perhaps I will re-think it, as a good old bottle neck jack always works...
I appreciate your input

RoadJunkie

Jim is correct, the unit I'm inquiring about is for leveling, not changing a flat. They do have a model for changing the flat.

There is one YouTube video that demonstrates a guy using one of the Anderson units to level a Tripple axle toy hauler. He is on concrete and when he drives off on the 4" side of the leveler, they pop out and scatter all over the place. It's actually kinda funny to watch. It's just that I'm getting kind of tired of the board routine. Or, I'm bored of the tire routine?

Crumgater

We're using a leveler like that when we have a big delta to make up (which is one spot we visit regularly). For small leveling, we use our ground control jacks, but we'd rather not have the wheels 3" off the ground on one side. We did have to cut the tip of the wedge to get it to fit between our wheels (as suggested in the instructions), but once we did that it seems to work quite well. Easy to use, easy to pack... didn't see much of a problem, other than you need to go slow and move in a controlled manner (more controlled than when aiming for a 2x6 board, anyway).

I think (it's been a while since we used them) we backed off of them to minimize the 'popping' potential and make for a smoother landing on solid ground - versus 'driving off' them as they show in the marketing videos.

-Tina

Bones

I love them. The wife actually had me pull to far forward one time and we fell off of them.

1108150820b_HDR.jpg

IMG_20150913_124909.jpg
Here you can see the levelers on the other side from underneath.

RoadJunkie

Bones, you have quite the intricate setup going on there, especially with the plumbing highway...complete with bridge work. I don't believe that I have seen a set up that is so well thought out.

I think I will try the Anderson lifts, they are not too expensive and I'm tired of guessing how much lift I need. Although another option would be the air-lift system that "TandT" use.

Bones

Bones, you have quite the intricate setup going on there, especially with the plumbing highway...complete with bridge work. I don't believe that I have seen a set up that is so well thought out.

I think I will try the Anderson lifts, they are not too expensive and I'm tired of guessing how much lift I need. Although another option would be the air-lift system that "TandT" use.

Thanks. I think you will like the levelers a lot. The DW helps me level Most of the time I back into a site further than I need to and I pull up on the levelers. I usually have my foot on the gas pedal and brake at the same time to stop and I only move very little and she will check. I did have one time where I rolled backwards on them and that was because the site was sloping backwards a bit. The one thing I did find that works the best are the X-chocks type tire locks. Once I am level side to side I put in the red wheel chocks and then install the X-chock on that side so the camper doesn't roll from it's position.

Abear79

I really like your sewer hose setup and storage and the wheel chocks. And be careful with those towmax tires.

Bones

I really like your sewer hose setup and storage. And be careful with those towmax tires.
thanks and thanks for the heads up. Those tires are long gone now. I replaced them with Sailun tires earlier this season