Diesel Cool Down

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Always left the truck cool down after a hard pull. About 10 minutes +- This truck has a readout with oil temps that I can add to the main screen. What should I bring the oil temp down to before I shut it down? What oil and coolant temps are you seeing when running empty and under load? How about trans temp?

To to many things to look at now. But I like it....

Lynn1130

If you have the ability to read Exhaust Gas Temps that is the reading that you want to watch. The 400s or lower is a good place to shut off. It will drop there pretty quickly once you go to idle. Oil temps will take longer since it is an liquid and I have not heard of using that reading.

JWalker

If you have the ability to read Exhaust Gas Temps that is the reading that you want to watch. The 400s or lower is a good place to shut off. It will drop there pretty quickly once you go to idle. Oil temps will take longer since it is an liquid and I have not heard of using that reading.

Thanks, I will go out and see if it has a readout for EGTs. I thought it was more of a hot oil "coking" up the turbo. But I know absolutely nothing about nothing. That's why I ask.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
I can't see exhaust temperature but I have a readout for the turbo oil temp. I wait until it is back around 200*. That my "normal" when not towing. Unless the truck is under a heavy load the turbo oil will hang around 208, summertime towing. Only a minute or two to recover after stopping and at idle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
Just as important in the cool down process allowing a few minutes for the turbo to spool down. It's not good for it to be still spinning thousands of RPM's without oil flow to the bearing

pday1213

We usually let the oil temp cool down to the 195-197 range. It takes about 5 mins to reach that after a long day pulling or heavy hills. Coming home from Prince Gallitzin State Park this past weekend we had some hills to climb up Rt 53 to Cresson, PA and saw oil temps were up about 212 working hard going up about 12% grade. Coming down the otherside the Turbo engine break worked great and did not have to work the breaks as hard.

JWalker

We usually let the oil temp cool down to the 195-197 range. It takes about 5 mins to reach that after a long day pulling or heavy hills. Coming home from Prince Gallitzin State Park this past weekend we had some hills to climb up Rt 53 to Cresson, PA and saw oil temps were up about 212 working hard going up about 12% grade. Coming down the otherside the Turbo engine break worked great and did not have to work the breaks as hard.

Thanks for the numbers. That Cresson mountain is a pretty good climb.

travelin2

I've seen my turbo oil temps peak in the 230's on some pulls out west but once the pull is over oil temp drops rapidly. Yeah the engine break feature is great. Cresson Mt is a haul regardless of the route. Gallitzin is a nice park. Haven't been through there in years. Obviously no trouble with fitting in a site. Have improvements been made there like at Parker Dam?

Bones

A lot of times when I've pulled into a camp site I just leave the truck running while I'm getting unhooked and that takes a little bit of time. Once I am unhooked I then shut the truck off.

porthole

Retired
Thanks, I will go out and see if it has a readout for EGTs. I thought it was more of a hot oil "coking" up the turbo. But I know absolutely nothing about nothing. That's why I ask.

Hot oil "coking" was a problem before most turbos had water cooling jackets around the compressor bearing. The bearing had only oil, used for lube and cooling. With a high load, the compressor spins at a high RPM (125,000 - 200,000 rpm).
When you shut the engine off too soon after a high load the the heat that is already soaking the turbo is increased while the compressor was still spinning, without the benefit of oil circulating. So, the heat would cause the oil to "coke", eventually clogging the passage and wiping out the bearing.

Your modern truck diesel has a water cooled "wet" turbo.

Under normal driving you really don't need a cool down period. That doesn't mean that I would just shut the truck off after giving it some throttle into your final destination (my last 1/3 mile home is all uphill).
Towing the trailer I would let it run for a minute or two after stopping. Another reason for an auxiliary tank, I almost never stop for fuel with the trailer. And getting into camp, by the time you are unhooked it is a moot point.

That said, I have a timer on my truck, it is set for about 2.5 minutes. About half the time I let the timer shut the truck off, the rest of the time I will idle for 10 seconds or so then shut it off manually (stepping on the brake)

Gary521

This turbo spool down etc, is an old wives tale with current equipment. Can anybody find any cautionary info in an owners manual?

JWalker

Ok. So excessive cool down isn't as nessecary in the new models as it was in the older versions. What about excessive idle times. I was told on my 07(fist year with emissions) that long idle times can cause issues. Is this true for the newer models.

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
Ok. So excessive cool down isn't as nessecary in the new models as it was in the older versions. What about excessive idle times. I was told on my 07(fist year with emissions) that long idle times can cause issues. Is this true for the newer models.

Not sure but I do know ford now also monitors this for any extended warranty and they have a limit similar to mileage.

JWalker

Not sure but I do know ford now also monitors this for any extended warranty and they have a limit similar to mileage.

I did see that the new truck has both mileage and hours that it tracks.

dave10a

Yes it is still recommended by both Ford and Caterpillar to not allow long idling. Cat offers an automatic shutdown/fast idle of 900 rpm after 3 minutes when not in gear. Ford may a well. I don't know about the other mfg.'s, but Cat claims that slobbering is the problem because diesel engines don't burn the fuel completely at 500-600 rpm.

travelin2

No excessive cool down or start run idle. Like I and others have said, the time it takes for you to get settled in your site or hooked up and ready to leave is adequate engine time to shut her down or wind her up!!!

123camper

On my 2016 ram 2500 the owners manual states a cool down period is required depending on how hard the engine has worked. Up to five minutes.

JWalker

On my 2016 ram 2500 the owners manual states a cool down period is required depending on how hard the engine has worked. Up to five minutes.

I guess I should crack open the manual and read it. You say a cool downperiod is required, up to five minutes. Did it give you any indication of what temperature should come down to before shutting it off?

JWalker

No excessive cool down or start run idle. Like I and others have said, the time it takes for you to get settled in your site or hooked up and ready to leave is adequate engine time to shut her down or wind her up!!!

I love the sound of a diesel. That's why the louder Cummins doesn't bother me. It's like a stress relieving white noise. Those new Fords and GMs are to quiet. You might as well be driven around in a hybrid. Just kiddin.