Will the flooding in Indiana slow our trailer delivery

beardedone

Beardedone
We have seen the news reports of severe flooding in Indiana. We were wondering if the storm was near the Heartland factory. If so was it bad enough to damage the site or slow down the delivery of our new Landmark. It sure looked bad on TV news reports. Does anyone know the situation?
thanks

pmmjarrett

Not just tired..... RETIRED!!!
I don't think it will be a problem. Havn't gotten any emails on my Blackberry about closing our terminals in Goshen or Wakarusa nor any warnings about the Elkhart area from my company yet and they are usually pretty good about keeping us informed.

This spring there was flooding around the area and it was a non issue for getting out.

Besides, it's all uphill to Alberta anyways;) ..... Grabbing a trailer myself out of Goshen, IN tomorrow and headed for Grande Prairie, Alberta.

Biggest challenge will be for a dispatcher to talk a driver into running Canada..... Me I like running up into the Great White North, everybody thought I was nuts crossing an ice bridge across the Peace river going into La Crete this winter to deliver a trailer.

IMG00056.jpg

IMG00057.jpg

IMG00060.jpg

The ice bridge was nothing compared to the storm I got caught in a day later on AB 40 in the middle of nowhere.:eek:
IMG00068.jpg

beardedone

Beardedone
When you are in the middle of great white north you have to do what you have to do. Life is an adventure.

So why are they having trouble getting drivers to come up here? Maybe you want to take my new Landmark to Kelowna for me so I can pick it upl.

Thanks

pmmjarrett

A lot of drivers just flat won't go up there:confused:. Scared of clearing customs & snow I guess. Some can't enter Canada because of past DUI or Criminal convictions.

Customs is easy and Canada knows how to clear snow. I've been running Canadian trucking fleets for years before doing this, go up there so much through the same ports that some of the customs people recognize me when I cross. Freight is never slow for me because so many refuse to run Canada and it's always lame excuses I hear from drivers about why they won't go. Doesn't matter what company they work for, they are the same almost everywhere.

While they sit for days or even weeks waiting for one to California, Texas or Florida, I'm making money. I never sit more than a few seconds without a load and often am dispatched on another load before I've even made a delivery on the first one. I've even had Keystone call my company and asked for me to personally haul a show trailer into SK and AB for them this year because of my attitude running up there.

I'd love to pull the Landmark to Kewlowna, BC, really nice scenery up there........ but....... I have a tiny little problem with that.........

When I quit trucking back in 2000, went back into the Army and moved to NC, I didn't get my CDL "A" because I thought I'd never need it again (DOH). Commercially I can't pull anything over 14,500 GVWR because my trucks GVWR is 11,500 and the Landmarks have a GVWR over 16,000.

Kinda lame excuse, but I've been so busy hauling the lower GVWR stuff to Canada I havn't had time to go get it.:D Mabey it'll slow down a little for me this summer.

nhunter

Grande Prairie is a pretty drive, just watch out for the mooseys. Getting lots of rain and a few baby twisters so check your wipers.:D

pmmjarrett

I'm in Elkhart now, ain't seen anything flooded all the way from home in NC today.

Mooseys:eek: ....... Hope I never have to test my Rancher grill guard on one of them. As low as my 2wd dually sits, the moose is prolly going through the windshield.

IMG00130.jpg

Wipers are brand new. Rained hard just east of Ft Wayne on US 30 today on the way in. Storm was moving 49 mph packing 80 mph winds and some wicked cloud to ground lightning.

Prolly won't hear from me on the forums until next week once I hitch up and start rolling tomorrow morning. I run hard once I get moving, will deliver friday and have 4200 miles under my belt by this time next week when I get back.

beardedone

Beardedone
Thanks a bunch. You are right about the moose. You always lose with a moose. I've seen horses go through windshields and kill people. About a year or two ago a couple of guys in northern Alberta were also killed when they took a moose through the windshield. You can save more than fuel when you go slower, especially at dawn and dusk.

pmmjarrett

You're welcome

I love the big signs between Whitecourt and Grande Prairie labeling it " Moose Alley".

And the quote that goes with them on the small signs. IIRC " Save our wildlife and yourself"

Around St Cloud, MN now. 600 miles is enough for today, will cross at N. Portal Sk tomorrow afternoon.