Truck is in the shop

FiremanBill

Well BART, as we affectionately call him, is in the shop for transmission work. We have had an ongoing, intermittent issue with the transmission wanting to lock up in 4th gear. When it would do it the CEL would also some on with a code. The problem is that to get it to shift gears I'd have to stop and restart the truck. Then it would reset and also clear the code leaving no memory of it on the computer to diagnose. Last time it happened we were turning off a main road and had to cross some RR tracks, got the truck across but not the trailer, and had to shut it down and pray that it would restart to get the trailer across before a train came!

It finally happened on the interstate coming back from Knoxville to Sevierville last Friday and I was able to get it to Rocky Top Dodge with it still locked in gear and the code thrown still up. Fortunately the camper was at home! Turns out it is the under drive solenoid circuit control module which apparently is inside the transmission! The good part about that is that my extended warranty should cover it.

I have to hand it to the folks at Rocky Top though. A lot of dealers take a lot of flak over how they deal with customers but these guys are top notch. They have bent over backwards to get me squared away, even offering a loaner truck when they didn't have too. If you ever need some Ram truck work done and are in this area see John McClure in service there and tell him I said hey.