Hello All!

Just picked up my first Travel Trailer last weekend. I bought a 2016 Heartland Prowler Lynx 285LX. She's parked in the backyard right now and I will be taking her for our first trip next week.

Just wanted to say hello and I'm looking forward to getting lots of good information from the forums here, thanks for having me.

danemayer

Hi Gulf_Coast_Girl,

Congratulations on the new Prowler and welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. We've got a great bunch of friendly and helpful people here, so don't hesitate to ask questions and share your adventures.

Prowler Lynx 285LX - Noob Time!!!

Just picked up my 2016 Prowler Lynx 285LX last weekend and looking forward to many happy years/trips!

I'm going to be pushing the limit tow wise for about the first year and that's a little scary but I'm not really worried since I don't plan on venturing far the first year.

I'm towing with a 2003 Yukon Denali XL. The max. tow capacity is 8,200 and the GCWR is 14,000 lbs. I got a weight distribution hitch and sway bars rated for 15,000 lbs. and trailer brake controller.

When I picked up the TT I took a good portion of the items (tool box, levelers, chocks, hoses etc.) I plan on traveling with me to the dealer, loaded it up and went to the CAT scales across the street. The weight was 13,060, with 2,800 being on the steer axle; 3880 on the drive axle and 6380 on the trailer axle. I'm guesstimating that once I get food, dishes, clothes and a couple of chairs in there I'll be at right around 13,500. (it's just me and the dog & occasionally my sister so not a full family load of stuff). I plan on weighing again once I get everything in there, will be interesting to see if I'm close in my estimate. Oh, and the dealer had left 1/2 tank of fresh water in it with was included in that weight. I plan on emptying that and traveling with no water in the tanks to conserve on weight. Everywhere I plan on camping prior to upgrading the TV will have water hookups so no need for me to pull extra weight.

The first year I plan on staying within 100 miles of home, traveling on flat Florida roads. I plan on upgrading (likely to a Ford F250) late next year but I didn't want to wait on the TT. She towed the 45 miles home beautifully, I just kept it slow and steady.

Anyhow, that's the situation. Any advice you want to give is appreciated. I also don't mind any criticism about pushing towing capacity, I think it's good to hear all perspectives... the bad with the good if you will. :)

Here she is in my backyard:

IMG_0174_medium_zpstbzis7uu.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Congratulations on your new condo on wheels. Check out a Heartland rally near you. It's a great way to meet other Heartlanders, ask questions and set up a new friends network. Travel safely.

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
Re: Prowler Lynx 285LX - Noob Time!!!

Your lawn looks good!!:cool: Welcome to the group! It sounds to me like you have done some research and are not pushing the limits of your vehicle or yourself. I would just recommend getting to know every nook and cranny of your rig and get a maintenance schedule in place. Congratulations and safe travels!