Water Pump Works, doesn't work, works, doesn't work

CindyB

We are traveling in British Columbia right now heading for Alaska. Just one night of dry camping so far and that was the night the water pump decided to be fickle.

I first turn it on at the switch, it may work or it may not work. If I leave the switch on, in a few minutes it will start working without further demand on it. Once it starts running, it runs fine and keeps running without stopping. But once the demand is off and it shuts down, it is a crap shoot if it will start on demand again. Something loose, maybe? We are headed for full hookups again tonight but beyond may need to rely on the water pump or camp next to a clean creek.

Might we luck out and have a simple fix? Or does it need replacing? My rig is a 2012 Big Country.

Wifi service up here is limited and it may be several days before I can get access to view any replies, but I do appreciate all responses.

Thank you,
Cindy

sengli

There is a pressure switch on the pump, that is adjustable usually. Usually an allen wrench fitting. I would see if you adjust your pressure up and or down and see how that plays out. My rig is 2013, and we rarely use full hook ups, so we use our pump almost all the time we are camping. So far I am on my third pump in four years. Of course check the wire nutted power connections as well.

Garypowell

Combined with your other post you could have a ground problem. Or this could simply be a lose wire. Need to get behind the basement wall and see.

danemayer

You might check the fittings on the pump. If one is loose, or if the strainer bowl is cracked, the pump could have trouble developing enough suction to deliver any water, and it might keep running after you close the faucets. Also check the antifreeze suction line to make sure it's not partially open.