Insurance on a new 3500 DRW

Miltp920

So, before we bought, we checked with the insurance company and got a figure for how much our insurance was going to go up. Was told $199 every 6 months. Now that we own it, it has gone up $420 for every 6 months. My old TV was a 2003 GMC SRW. I know this is a $60,000 truck and it is going to have higher insurance. We have a $500 deductible with Progressive, truck is a 2016 3500 Denali DRW, $576 every 6 months. DW has checked around online and actually this may not be too bad of a deal. I am wondering if anyone is getting a better deal out there? IF yes, can you share your insurance strategies?

sengli

Wow, there are a lot of factors that affect your insurance rates. Like how many cars you have, if its tied to your home coverage. And of course your driving record. Our 3500 DRW is half what your paying for a full year. Ours isnt a stripo equipped version either. Isnt your insurance coverage different up there is MI? Like a no fault thing or something? Yikes!

Roadventure

Wow, there are a lot of factors that affect your insurance rates. Like how many cars you have, if its tied to your home coverage. And of course your driving record. Our 3500 DRW is half what your paying for a full year. Ours isnt a stripo equipped version either. Isnt your insurance coverage different up there is MI? Like a no fault thing or something? Yikes!

We have bumped up our coverages and lowered our deductibles for about the same vehicle value. We did this for peace of mind while full timing. We pay 107.50/mo which is only $3 more/month than we were paying for an SRW 4 years older. We are young and our domicile is in WA state, we also use progressive, all factors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

avvidclif

Get a price quote from Hartford with the AARP discount. I don't care for AARP but put up with it for the cheap insurance.

AAdams

Our truck is tied to the RV policy so we are discounted quite a bit. We are paying $348/year for the truck.

Miltp920

AAdams, which is your RV policy company? 348/ yr or / 6 months?

- - - Updated - - -

We only have one other vehicle, a 2007 Ford Explorer, and it is about $150 for 6 months. We do not have our home owners through Progressive just vehicles. Our 5er is with progressive. We both have great driving records, of course DW is better than mine...lol Progressive gives us both a good discount from a snapshot test drive. I think we need to do some more digging. What we are paying seems high.

AAdams

We have BlueSky. This is how we got the great rate though.. They do not write auto policies unless they write a RV policy. Our Ford is classified as a MDT with them so it is written as a rider on the Full Timers Insurance policy of the RV. Our rate actually dropped this year once they wrote the policy this way.

Miltp920

Get a price quote from Hartford with the AARP discount. I don't care for AARP but put up with it for the cheap insurance.

I ran it online and it was almost the same money. I checked the box that I was a aarp member (even though I am not) and it did not change the price. I wonder IF you really need to have the membership number to see the discount.

Do you have your home with the Hartford too?

- - - Updated - - -

We have BlueSky. This is how we got the great rate though.. They do not write auto policies unless they write a RV policy. Our Ford is classified as a MDT with them so it is written as a rider on the Full Timers Insurance policy of the RV. Our rate actually dropped this year once they wrote the policy this way.

So you are Full Time RVing and your policy with BlueSky is for just your RV and your Truck? I see you are in SD. Do you reside there, or just call it home? We have read about and need to look into making SD our home of record when we go full time RV in about a year.

Excellent information. thanks.

Miltp920

I sent BlueSky a quote request. It might not help until we go full time RV, but it was worth asking.

Thanks

IronJ

Dang...my 15 platinum dually WITH additional coverage for aftermarket parts is only 699 a year my 12 srw lariat is 450 a year my wife's x5m is cheaper than either one of those!!??...my motorcycles are like 80$ year..lol..we have everything through one policy through travelers insurance (homes/auto/rv/rec vehicles/)...a lot depends on the state you live in...also driving record and credit score

sent from space via an invisible beam from a flying metal dish