Sundance - Converter Replacement

TomCar

I have a 2009 Sundance 5th Wheel RV & my lights keep flickering. I assume it is the converter but I can't seem to locate where it is. Can you provide me details as to where the converter is located?
Thank you,
Tom

Last edited by a moderator:

jimtoo

Re: ATF: Sundance - Converter Replacement

Hi Tom,

Welcome to the posting side of the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed as you have seen if you have been lurking in the back ground.

I'm sure some of our other members will jump in soon with some help for you locating the converter. I am sure you will need to remove the panels in the storage area and look back there.

Be sure and check out our Heartland Owners Club. Join us at a rally when you can and meet lots of the great folks here and make friends for a lifetime.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

123camper

We have a 2011 sundance and our converter is mounted under the steps. For access to it I had to remove the basement wall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bogie

You don't say which model of Sundance you have, but in my 2011 245RL, it's located in the power enclosure with the fuses and circuit breakers. Take a look here.

That being said, since the lights run off the battery and the converter charges the battery, it may not be the source of your problem. It sound more like you have a loose connection, or a bad battery. If you know the battery or batteries are good, I would start by looking at all of the connections in the power enclosure including the wiring that goes back to the battery. When the converter is on, you should measure about 13.4 Volts DC at the battery with a volt meter. That reading would generally mean it's unlikely to be the converter.

TomCar

Thanks. I have a 2009 Sundance Heartland #3300SK. I've checked the battery which is good & even disconnected the battery to see if I still have the issue - I do.

Ron-Cookie

Thanks. I have a 2009 Sundance Heartland #3300SK. I've checked the battery which is good & even disconnected the battery to see if I still have the issue - I do.
Were you still plugged into your truck? Could be that connection making and breaking... Just a thought...

Bogie

You didn't say if you measured the voltage. But, I still think it is more likely a connection somewhere. If the battery is in good condition and charged, even if the converter were marginal, the battery would take up the load. Also, the battery wouldn't stay charged if the converter was not working. I would start looking for a bad connection at this point. If you haven't looked already, you may want to look at this diagnostic manual from the Heartland Owners Manuals.

Unch

Does anyone know where the conver is on a 3814 toy hauler? Took apart the breaker box, not there. Not behind the fuses. I can hear it humming somewhere by the vacuum.

MargeB

I have a 2010 Heartland Sundance 2800 RLS 5th wheel and we are also looking for the converter. We may have blown the fuse when we changed batteries.

danemayer

If you imagine a straight line between the battery and the fuse box, the power converter will typically be on that line, closer to the fuse box. On many rigs, you have to take down the rear wall of the pass through basement storage.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
If you have eliminated that it's not the battery and possibly the converter, pull the converter out. If it's a Progressive converter, call them directly to exchange the converter out. It cost us only $100 to exchange it with them than getting a new one from a rv dealer.