Power surging

We just purchased our heartland cyclone as did friends of ours. Ours is working great and they are parked next to us having all sorts of problems when plugged in. Heres the back story. He plugged in and right away the DVD player started smoking, got it all working again and his wife went to use the microwave and then it shut all off again. Then it was on again the transfer switch box would make an awful buzzing noise on utility power. When he runs the generator this seems to be a none issue. Anyway the camper worked great the first 5 days they had it at another park. This park is all new and I know someone was hooked on it last weekend but only 30amp power. They are using 50amp. The owner of the campground actually has the electricians come out and look at all of it. And everything seems to be working on their end we are hooked into the same line of power just a different box. The electicians even looked at his camper and tested the converter box and it wouldn't make the buzzing noise again and everything was looking good. Seemed to be working all day today, now tonight she was using her breast pump and the outlet started smoking. Help! I want to help my friends with their new camper.

Last edited:

Bones

We just purchased our heartland cyclone as did friends of ours. Ours is working great and they are parked next to us having all sorts of problems when plugged in. Heres the back story. He plugged in and right away the DVD player started smoking, got it all working again and his wife went to use the microwave and then it shut all off again. Then it was on again the converter box would make an awful buzzing noise on utility power. When he runs the generator this seems to be a none issue. Anyway the camper worked great the first 5 days they had it at another park. This park is all new and I know someone was hooked on it last weekend but only 30amp power. They are using 50amp. The owner of the campground actually has the electricians come out and look at all of it. And everything seems to be working on their end we are hooked into the same line of power just a different box. The electicians even looked at his camper and tested the converter box and it wouldn't make the buzzing noise again and everything was looking good. Seemed to be working all day today, now tonight she was using her breast pump and the outlet started smoking. Help! I want to help my friends with their new camper. 
Wow oh wow. Please immediately remove the camper from power. Your getting 220 volt and that is extremely dangerous with 120 volt equipment

- - - Updated - - -

If everything checks out ok with other people and testing of the pedestal there is a good chance the camper itself is loosing the common which gives a 50 amp camper the 120 volt power. It can be loose in several different places, the transfer switch, the power cord, the receptacle for the power cord, the breaker panel. Everything you are describing appears to be a loss of a common wire the white wire. If you or they can not check for this an electrician must be brought in to inspect.

I had a typo it's not the converter that was making the noise it was the transfer switch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danemayer

I agree. The smoking and appliance issues signal partial or complete loss of the neutral connection. This can occur in the trailer, or at the connection to the trailer, or upstream. But if the transfer switch was making noise, that's the first place to check. It's usually located behind the rear wall of the pass through basement storage.

CAUTION: The trailer should be unplugged from shore power before investigating the transfer switch. There are two 50 amp circuits coming into and out of the switch which is enough to injure or kill if you make a mistake.

Also a good idea to get a non-contact voltage tester as well as a volt meter. The non-contact tester shows which wires are hot without actually touching them. Get the $20 model - skip the $10 one.

When the transfer switch is opened, you may find loose or damaged wiring connections.

Other places to check for loose or damaged wiring would include the backside of the circuit breaker panel, the power cord connection to the trailer, and the connection at the pedestal.

And if you and your friend don't have Electrical Management Systems like the Progressive HW50C or PT50C, you need to get one.

rxbristol

That's the scariest thing, to lose the neutral. It can happen sporadically due to a loose connection and then thermal expansion will cause a total loss.

I agree. The smoking and appliance issues signal partial or complete loss of the neutral connection. This can occur in the trailer, or at the connection to the trailer, or upstream. But if the transfer switch was making noise, that's the first place to check. It's usually located behind the rear wall of the pass through basement storage.

CAUTION: The trailer should be unplugged from shore power before investigating the transfer switch. There are two 50 amp circuits coming into and out of the switch which is enough to injure or kill if you make a mistake.

Also a good idea to get a non-contact voltage tester as well as a volt meter. The non-contact tester shows which wires are hot without actually touching them. Get the $20 model - skip the $10 one.

When the transfer switch is opened, you may find loose or damaged wiring connections.

Other places to check for loose or damaged wiring would include the backside of the circuit breaker panel, the power cord connection to the trailer, and the connection at the pedestal.

And if you and your friend don't have Electrical Management Systems like the Progressive HW50C or PT50C, you need to get one.

Hi, can I pick one of those electrical management systems at any RV place. I know I can get one on Amazon but in light of recent events I would rather get one sooner than later. Thank you.

danemayer

Hi, can I pick one of those electrical management systems at any RV place. I know I can get one on Amazon but in light of recent events I would rather get one sooner than later. Thank you.

You might be able to get one at a dealer parts dep't or a Camping World. But I think Camping World sells the TRC EMS. Also, you may pay quite a bit more at a dealer. And the Progressive unit comes with a lifetime warranty versus a 1 year warranty on the TRC.

You might be able to get one at a dealer parts dep't or a Camping World. But I think Camping World sells the TRC EMS. Also, you may pay quite a bit more at a dealer. And the Progressive unit comes with a lifetime warranty versus a 1 year warranty on the TRC.

Thank you, I'm heading towards the dealer tomorrow so I think I'll give them a jingle.