Tire Pressure Monitoring System / Inflator

jimandjean

Considering the weight and risk, i'm considering adding a TPMS to my Cyclone 4200. Wanted thoughts from anyone who has done the same on their rig - models, performance, need for repeaters? I'll be pulling with a 2016 F-450, and I believe these come standard with at least a dummy light for the tire pressure (i'll be double checking), but i'd like to know in advance if one of the six trailer tires are running low on air.

This post is a two for one, any favorite inflators you guys are using? I'm more than happy to go to a 110v since we'd have the genny available if it performs better.

beasleyrl

I use a TST 507 Flow thru. Prior to that, I had the TST 510 (non-flow thru). Both work well but do require repeaters for a rig as long as yours (and mine). I will say, when I had my blowout on a Marathon tire on my prior rig, the system did not alarm until after the tire blew. No early warning sign of heat or problem.

I also carry a portable Sears pancake compressor because like you, I have a generator. It works well for inflating the large high pressure tires but I have thought about putting an onboard air system into the truck to shed the space that the compressor takes up in the compartment.

carl.swoyer

I use Valor TPMS both the trailer and truck have sensors. The sensors are strapped internally. An audible warning and light upon rapid pressure loss or tire becomes too hot. It also will also alert you for low tire pressure,slow leaks. I carry a porter cable pancake compressor & 50 ft air hose

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Garypowell

Valor is my system. I like the fact that it's sensors are inside the tires rather than out wagging in the air. Great customer support too.

Rollin_Free

TST also has internal sensors available. I just recently purchased new tires and was thinking of purchasing the internal ones but after calling them and discussing what I wanted to do I decided to stay with the external non-flow on steel stems that I already have.

Aside from the cost to purchase the new sensors I found out that the difference between the internal and external temp/pressure readings are very minimal. Several discussions on this forum mention the inaccurate temp readings because they are only measuring ambiance air temp not tire temp. Well the manufacture says this is not true and the inside or outside sensors are measuring the actual tire temperature as well as pressure. Because the readings are close between the two types I decided to reuse my external sensors and not have a perfectly good external set just sitting in my shop gathering dust.

A side benefit is when I rotate my tires I just move the sensors so they stay in the same locations that they are programmed to be. It's not a big deal to reprogram the sensor locations but it will save me time.

Rollin_Free

The 507 has either flow thru or non flow thru 510 are all non flow thru commercial grade with 5yr batteries non replaceable.

I'm not positive about the commercial grade with non replaceable 5year batteries but they may be the internal type option. The 507's are apparently the external design that have replaceable batteries with two different types of sensors. They have the non-flow through sensors which are about 1-1 1/4" long, and they have the flow through ones that are 1 3/4" long. The flow through ones were originally designed for inside dually tire access but will and are working on many trailer tires. However the length can be an issue because it will stick out beyond the edge of the tire and is susceptible to damage.

I contacted the company before my purchase to discuss these topics and decided the non-flow through would be the best choice for my rig. I've been using the non-flow through for about 2 years and haven't had any issues removing the sensors to check/add air to my tires.

UPDATE: The internal sensor design is changing to be similar to what Chevy and Ford are using instead of the stem mount design. The attached pictures show the new design.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 55
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 59