Considering Purchasing Big Country 3950FB Does anyone have one?

Hello...I'm new to this forum and needing some information. We are considering upgrading and purchasing the 2017 Big Country 3950FB. Does anyone have one and are you happy with it? The dealer don't have one I can look at and I am really nervous to order. The price is way more expensive at the nearest dealer than if we purchase far away and have it shipped to us. Has anyone bought from far away from where you live and had a camper delivered? If so would you recommend it? If possible can you include a fair price for this RV?
Thank You!

danemayer

Hi cajuncamper42,

We bought our 2011 Landmark from a dealer near the factory and drove from central Texas to Elkhart to pick it up. If you want to buy long distance, you should check around to see if any of the local dealers will provide warranty service for you. An alternative would be to use an independent servicer approved by Heartland for warranty work.

You're probably not too far from Ron Hoover dealerships in the Houston area. A lot of people have done ok purchasing from them.

As for pricing, forum rules don't allow posting of actual dealer prices.

Thank You very much danemayer! We have checked with Ron Hoover and if we purchase from far away....service is one of my concerns. The local deal has already told us if we don't purchase from them they will always service their customers first. I know what will happen...we will wait forever to get anything done from what I understand. Far away dealers have said if its a Heartland dealer they have to service you but I know how that works the put you off over and over.

brianlajoie

If you want to see the market for these trailers, check out rvtrader online (or rvt). There are 28 trailers of that model. There are both 2016 and 2017 brand new models, so there is a pretty big price range. If you go this route (and we did) I would go and inspect and bring the trailer home. We bought our trailer on line and drove 1000 miles to pick it up. It was worth it to us. Part of the adventure...

- - - Updated - - -

Thank You very much danemayer! We have checked with Ron Hoover and if we purchase from far away....service is one of my concerns. The local deal has already told us if we don't purchase from them they will always service their customers first. I know what will happen...we will wait forever to get anything done from what I understand. Far away dealers have said if its a Heartland dealer they have to service you but I know how that works the put you off over and over.

I would seek out independent certified RVIA/RVDA techs. I used one on Monday to help with some slide topper issues I have and he came to the house. I have not been to a dealer since I bought the trailer 2 years ago.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
There are plenty of independent RV servicers out there that don't care where you bought it. They would have to get pre-authorization from Heartland to do warranty work, but that doesn't seem to be an issue we've heard on this forum. As fulltimers, I know if I need something I might have to call a mobile tech to come to me. Heartland may not pay for the mobile fee, but likely they will authorize the service, no problem. I'm not worried.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks brianlajoie! I am having something fixed now also and they came out to my house. I'm in the process of finding out if they can do all the work if we need any. I'll have to check the certification thing out to make sure. Did you go that route because of the price difference? My husband wants the slide toppers and I don't...are you glad you have them or rather you didn't?

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Thank You! TravelTiger! We are using an independent tech now. You're not usually near the dealer anyway when things go wrong!

- - - Updated - - -

Am I replying correctly? I thought I was replying to each of you on your post

GOTTOYS

I bought locally and the service was terrible. No guarantee there. Buy where the price is the best. The warranty only lasts for a year anyway..Don

NHCelt

We live in NH and ordered from a dealer in VA, picking up on a three month trip to FL. Buy anywhere, but I would advise against having it shipped to you. Spend time at the dealer getting the initial issues resolved...and there will be issues. Stay a few days if you can and get to use things.

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired

Trust me you really don't want Dixie working on your rig. I am in the lake Charles area and also bought in Elkhart but I went up and got it and brought it back. I use a mobile repair guy instead of going to any shop for repairs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

farside291

We have the 2015 model and are very happy with it. We travel with our elder Mother and Father and need the two bathrooms. The down stairs 1/2 bath is very convenient because you don't have to go up the stairs to the front of the trailer. Also, when others go to bed, the down stairs restroom is still available. When on the road, having the downstairs bath is extremely convenient, you don't have to extend the bedroom slide to use the restroom. Also, having the large front bath allows the washer and dryer to be up front with the bathroom door closed when running. We swapped the 32 inch bedroom TV for a larger 42 and the living room TV for a 50. Both fit fine. The King bed is tight to make up to say the least. We will be trimming the platform and adding a Queen bed to replace to make it easier to makeup the bed. With the slides close you only have access to the refrigerator not the freezer. Pantry access is also not available. We love the Big County floor plan. Best of luck to you and safe travels. We leave for a 60 day road trip on the 30th.

Bill and Norma

brianlajoie

Thanks brianlajoie! I am having something fixed now also and they came out to my house. I'm in the process of finding out if they can do all the work if we need any. I'll have to check the certification thing out to make sure. Did you go that route because of the price difference? My husband wants the slide toppers and I don't...are you glad you have them or rather you didn't?=QUOTE]

If you can watch and talk to the tech, you can learn from what they have seen. I find this my gauge on how good someone is. If they don't want to talk to you, I have found they are usually hiding something.

The price difference was considerable. Also keep in mind that my trailer got a year old (3013 --> 2014) and that was leverage on the purchase price (but the trailer was new to me). Problem was we found exactly the trailer we wanted, but the dealer was asking full MSRP and didn't want to budge. If it was a couple grand, it would have not been an issue.

The slide toppers are a love/hate thing. I love them because it keeps my slide tops free of debris and most moisture. If you get them, be careful about the wind. I had a strong gust of wind pull my longest slide topper out of the bracket. I rebuilt it with a galvanized metal strap in between the bracket and cap. Will test it out on our next trip. Found out today that the sun is causing the vinyl to deteriorate next to the spline. Used clear patch tape - we'll see. I have made covers using 4 inch corrugated drainage pipe. We have a lot of sunshine and in storage, the awnings/toppers need to be covered. I am still glad we have the toppers though.