Firestone Air Lifts

Chuck Richard

Hello All, I have read many posts and it sounds like the Frestone air lifts are well liked. I am considering a pair for my Chevy 2500HD to bring the rear end hight back to normal. According to what I have read this should be 40-50 Lbs for me. The question I am hoping some of you experts can help me with is should I put in the compressor or just use the manual fill valves. I wonder just how stiff the ride would be unhitched with the bags still inflated. One other question is the single fill versus the dual fill, years ago when I sold shocks it wa illegal to sell with dual fill valves because if one side went out the vehicle would pitch to one side. We still sold the dual valves separately but was wondering if this is a problem or are these air bags so tough there is no need to worry about losing one side. Sorry for the long post but hoping to save a couple hundred buck and not get the compressor.

Hi,

I have Firestone air bags on a 2006 f250 and with my Bighorn at 2600 lbs pin weight run about 22 lbs in the bags. I have seperate air lines and carry a inexpensive 12v compressor in case I need to change the pressure. Only issue I have with the two lines is that can be touchy to get the two sides the same pressure. Dosen't take much air to pump them up. I would guess a bicycle pump might work. I ran the lines to the rear of the truck and they replace two of the license plate screws.

Chuck Richard

Thanks Ron, sounds like it is not too bad, I have about 2000 pin weight so may need less air. I guess with that low a setting the unhitched ride would not be too bad. Thanks on the cheap compressor tip I was thinking about that also and I also have a high pressure bike tire pump. Food for thought.

beardedone

Beardedone
I had them on Dodge 2500 but in my case I had a single valve for both bags so they were always equal. When empty the pressure was kept at 8 lbs. I also just used a 12 volt compressor to fill it up.:)

Oldlthrneck

Just an Old Jarhead
I opted for the single valve. The only reason I can see to have dual valves is if you carry uneven loads in the bed. I run about 30lbs. Humm, must be a bit heavy.:( I tried the cheap 12v compressor trick. Went through 3 failures on the cheapies, got fed up and bought a Dewalt 150psi with a 2 gal tank. Works for all of my tires, both TV and Trailer. It came with 2 air nailers, finish nailer and brad nailer. My son is a carpenter so that took care of birthday and Christmas.:) I carry it with the tank pressurized, that way if I need to top off the air bags, enroute, I can do that.
Fred

Firestone AIR LIFT

Hi, I installed the Firestone bags on my 2003 F250 and used a t connector to run the 2 lines into 1 air valve, works great. I run about 20 lbs of air towing a 2008 BH 3670 with no problems.

Chuck Richard

Thanks all for the good reply's, I was going to get the single fill to at least have available but was concerned with what the local dealer said about air shifting bag to bag during a corner. Sounds like this is no issue with a 5'er and I like the balanced idea and if one were to fail I would still have an even suspension. I now have a plan thanks again to all the heartland owners. :)

PUG

Pug
Firestone Air Bags

I recently purchased the 3950 toy hauler (actually 41 + ft.) and had the dealer install firestone air bags. after one trip I decided the on board compressor and guage was the only way to go. it is well worth it to have the "live time" air pressure and to adjust it on the go. I am carrying 3,000+ fifth wheel weight and run the pressure at 90#. It levels the heavy trailer off nicely and does a great job. I also pull a 10,000 # sailboat and haul a lot of rock etc. in the back of the pickup and being able to adjust the pressure easily from inside the cab is a blessing. I purchased the compressor from Summit Racing being the best price. My trailer weighs in at 18,000# with a street bike in the rear. I pull with a 2500 duramax and Hypertech Tuner in Module 1 (+76 HP). I have put 265 tires on to help on the weight but am still pushing the limit plus. buy the compressor, you won't regret it. I installed mine in a half day and put the compressor up under the frame on the drivers side.