New 5th wheel owner alert!!

Well actually, not yet. I'm going to pull the trigger on a oakmont 390MBL. I'm curious if a I should be also looking for a new TV. I'm looking at a 2016 F350 crew cab, 4x4, SRW....will that be ok? I'm not planing on just staying local, I plan to travel from Florida up into the smokies at least twice a year. Should I opt for the DRW F350? Any help is greatly appreciated.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Hello D_rock1984 and welcome to this great forum. Lots of great people here with great information to share.
You will get plenty of opinions on whether to get the DRW or SRW.
Here is my input, having had both a SRW and a DRW the DRW will get my vote everyday.
Consider joining the Heartland Owners Club. You will be able to attend any Heartland Owners rally event during your travels. Well you could attend anyway as a Heartland product owner but club membership will save you about $20 per rally. And you will get a 10% discount from Heartland Parts.
Hope to see you in that new Oakmont.

Peace
Dave

wehavefun

I have had both, nothing beats the dually, if you purchase a SRW and you want to get a bigger 5th next you will be stuck unless you upgrade both. Get the dually, not much difference in price, a world of difference towing.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

franks1

Retired Alabama Chapter Leaders
We ordered our Ford F-350 DRW and got 2 weeks ago.What a beast ,it is not that much more for the dually .Get the dually you will not be sorry.

MTPockets

I started with the SRW, then found out after fully loaded for travel and wanting to add an auxiliary fuel tank that I was under payload capacity by over 600 lbs... I bit the bullet and traded for DRW.. I really wish I had gone that route first... Love the DRW! Do it!

RoadJunkie

A lot of factors to consider, D-rock. Do you want a long or short wheel base truck? DWD won't fit in a single bay garage, at least not mine. Parking and maneuvering a DWD vs SWD is different. DWD sounds great on the road and while hauling, but cumbersome elsewhere. I don't know about the available differential ratios, but mileage will vary with the higher ratios typically optioned on the DWD. Good luck, choose...wisely.

Well actually, not yet. I'm going to pull the trigger on a oakmont 390MBL. I'm curious if a I should be also looking for a new TV. I'm looking at a 2016 F350 crew cab, 4x4, SRW....will that be ok? I'm not planing on just staying local, I plan to travel from Florida up into the smokies at least twice a year. Should I opt for the DRW F350? Any help is greatly appreciated.

I have the Eldridge middle bunk which is the same as what you are looking at an I have a 2014 350 srw it has the 60 gallon aux tank and it pulls it just fine I weighted my whole set up loaded with both fuel tanks full and a work tool box and it came in at 22,840 front was 5000 rear was 6780 and trailer was 11,120 .. But after pulling is for a while I wish I would have done a drw bc it would sag as much in the rear

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you guys for the welcome and the advice. My only worry about a DRW is the fact that this rig will also be my daily driver. I currently drive about 32k per year. Owning a construction company takes I toll on my rigs. I just worry that having a DRW will become cumbersome throughout my daily driving from jobsite to jobsite.

Thanks for the imput. When you had the SRW, did if feel and drive safely? Having a family, safety is a concern of mine, but I really don't like the idea of a DRW daily driver when not towing

Oregon_Camper

I could feel the trailer "pushing" my SRW F-350 on long and/or sharp corners. Made me feel very uneasy.

Move to a DRW and LOVE LOVE LOVE it. Never once have I had that "pushing" feeling again. Go DRW for towing and get something smaller (used 150?) for your everyday driving to/from work.

MTPockets

Thanks for the imput. When you had the SRW, did if feel and drive safely? Having a family, safety is a concern of mine, but I really don't like the idea of a DRW daily driver when not towing
I was in that mode; that's why My first tow vehicle was the SRW. Our only vehicle and daily driver, etc... Now we've owned the DRW over three years and all it takes is learning to drive it... I love it and look forward to getting in every time. There just isn't a good reason to stick with the SRW unless you're sure the payload capacity is within your rig limits.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
My DRW is my daily driver and parking is no problem unless you're one of those that can't walk a few feet and demand to park as close to the door as possible. Mine sits outdoors, rain or shine, and is none the worse for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk